Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 03:10:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Frequency response

Started by gbono, October 14, 2011, 01:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phatt

Thanks for the clarification Enzo,
Don't worry,, It is not often a hobby amateur like me gets a chance to have a dig at chaps like you who are far more qualified,, wink. :P

I agree that a Crown Amp being used as a welder :o is proof that it has big power capacity/reserve and will impress the more tecky minded folks but it won't make much sense to the average guitar player with little understanding of audio.

Yes I'm very aware that from a technical stand point it does show the system is powerful if it can produce a CLEAN DC response at Full POWER,, which of course has many Industrial uses not just making music.

It Might it be useful to mention for the readers why this (down to DC power) is handy.
Answer;
Bass Frequencies need a lot more Energy to produce the same output (SPL) as higher frequency signals, hence Bass Amps are often 4 times the power of guitar amps.

What I really was trying to get at;

For the average SS guitar Amp of say 50 Watts you can shoot yourself in the foot if you allow too much low freq response to pass as most off the shelf Amps will just fall apart when you try to output high volumes with very low freq signals.

I just (last week) rebuilt a 4 ch powered 100Watt rig only to find that at high volumes I had way too much flabbing of the speakers. A simple adjustment yielded a far more pleasing low frequency response.
So by subtracting a little low freq you can indeed make the bass much more audible and more pleasing to the ears Which translates to far less hassles for the end user. (I want happy customers) 8)

I don't think there is a one line answer to this, You really do need to be working with and building audio gear for a while before you fully grasp it.

So many things influence the final outcome.

Interesting point about Valves being gutsy;
I have read that one area where SS really struggles is Radio Transmission.
Apparently quite a few radio transmitters still use valve technology as SS devices still Can't deliver the capacity of the bigger transmitters.

That is More of an industrial use than straight audio but the RF signal does often contain music.

Cheers, Phil.

teemuk

Well, not just radio transmitters... Tubes are still used in a wealth of applications because no equivalent solid-state substitutes exist. But then we're usually talking about stuff like this:

Instead of tiny, generic audio tubes.

gbono

pretty hard to get a tube to work at quasi-optical frequenies (>300GHz) though  ;)

Enzo

Oh yes, is truly amazing to look out the window of an airliner and see how much those metal wings flex.

Our Air Force B52s have such long and flexible wings that there are small auxiliary landing gear wheels hanging from the wing tips to keep them from dragging the ground when the plane is not moving.  Any motion and they will lift off the ground.

J M Fahey

I think Travelling Wave Tubes are still being used in equipment communicating with Mars, Jupiter probes and places like that.
I´m also sure that there is not (nor can be) any SS equivalent to Magnetrons, being that those electrons must physically vibrate in vacuum, inside a geometrically correct cavity, submerged in a powerful magnetic field.

phatt

Quote from: J M Fahey on October 20, 2011, 03:39:28 PM
I think Travelling Wave Tubes are still being used in equipment communicating with Mars, Jupiter probes and places like that.
I´m also sure that there is not (nor can be) any SS equivalent to Magnetrons, being that those electrons must physically vibrate in vacuum, inside a geometrically correct cavity, submerged in a powerful magnetic field.

Ha,, That is nothing mate ,,,, my wife thinks I live on mars,,, and she reckons I live in a vacuum as well. :lmao: :duh :loco
an maybe she has a point 8)
Phil.

J M Fahey

Does she *still* think you "live in Mars" when she, ... er ... , needs a small "financial contribution"?  .....

I guess then she turns on the "travelling wave tube" or whatever and finds you in a second, he he. :lmao:

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on October 21, 2011, 11:36:51 AM
Does she *still* think you "live in Mars" when she, ... er ... , needs a small "financial contribution"?  .....

I guess then she turns on the "travelling wave tube" or whatever and finds you in a second, he he. :lmao:

That's how it works at my house.  Also if she needs a spider killed or something heavy lifted.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

gbono

Or my (fill in blank) doesn't work can you fix it..........