Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:59:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

RG100ES problems - new owner/new poster

Started by guyatron, March 05, 2017, 07:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J M Fahey

Agree and add:
Someone suggested the output transistors?
WHO suggested such a thing?
Certainly nobody here.

Sounds like the typical average Forum answer, by somebody who has absolutely NO clue, but has itchy fingers and MUST write "something" , no matter what.

A variation of the classic: "it must be some thingie in there"  ::)

vidmachine

Quote from: DrGonz78 on March 17, 2017, 04:37:56 PM
How do you play the amp (i.e. Style of music)? Do you use the effects loop? How long were you playing the amp and satisfied with the tone?

My amp is a RG100ES XP.  Mostly I use it for practicing hard and heavy rock, some metal.  I have had the amp for at least 19 years and it always sounded awesome.  Now it just seems to sound "pretty good."  The tone change is obvious to my ears.  The low end is not really defined or clearly boomy/thumpy anymore.  It is loose, woofy, and flabby sounding.

Speaking of the effects loop, I have never been able to use it.  It always has a terrible buzz if anything electronic is connected to it.  I can plug a guitar into the Return side and it sounds clean and clear.  But any preamp or the Pod XT plugged in or out just buzzes so bad... 

Do you guys like sound samples?  I'll attach and mp3 with the current sound.  It is mic'd on axis with the cone.  It is a CAD TSM 411 microphone.  I'm looking for some old recordings to compare it to.

The guy who suggested the transistors maybe going bad was a guy at the office, nobody here..

J M Fahey

Killer sound as is   :dbtu:

Did it sound "better"  sometime in the past?
Who knows?
Very much doubt so.

*Tubes*  age, every second they are ON some atoms boil off the cathode coating , eventually said chemical coating gets depleted and tube is too weak to function properly.

In the long road between fresh out of the box and the corner dumpster, sound is changing all the time, while Transistors either work or die.

So power transistors are the last in a LONG chain of suspects, including strings, pickup settings, cables, ambient humidity and temperature, other instruments playing along, wall voltage and 1000 more, not forgetting signal generator (Musician) or Meter Microphone and processor (MusicianĀ“s ears and brains).

Loudthud

There are several small electrolytic caps  in the power amp that may have old age issues and might affect tone in a negative way. Just looking at the cropped schematic posted I see C31, C36, C33 and C34. Many times replacing components in a somewhat random way can cause more problems that it solves. I suggest you replace them one at a time and pay special attention to polarity. Take a good closeup picture of the board before you replace the caps.