Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:00:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

How to determine wire gauge?

Started by Michael60622, June 20, 2013, 11:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael60622

I am repairing my roland micro combo amp. The battery leaked bad and the connectors are shot on the non-soldered end. I would just put a piece of wire there but what gauge? How do I find out what gauge to use cause I don't want to send too much juice thru and blow amp.

Enzo

The wire thickness is not going to affect the amp.

Think about your house.  Imagine you have a table lamp by your chair, and the lamp is plugged in using a little extension cord.  Nothing unusual.  Now imagine you needed to use a different extension cord.  All you have is a real heavy duty one from your garage.  Do you think the table lamp will burn out if you use the heavier extension cord?

The wires in your amp are like that.  The CIRCUIT will draw the current it wants from the battery through the wire.  using heavier wire won't change that.  The only thing we are concerned with is that the wire not be so small that it burns out.   That is real unlikely.  I am sure some 20ga or 18ga would be fine.  Something even smaller is probably OK, but I stay away from really small wire, not because it will be a problem electrically, but because small wires are more likely to break off.