Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:38:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Randall RX30D distortion channel and effects problem

Started by veljko, May 19, 2012, 01:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veljko

Hi,

I came across the forum reading about problems that people have with their amps. I couldn't find anyone with the exact same problem, so I decided to post this question here. Hopefully, someone can share their expert thoughts with me.

I have a Randall RX30D solid state combo amp through which I play my Les Paul knock off. It all sounded good until at one point the amp started misbehaving.

There are two channels, a clean and a distortion/overdrive, a setting for effects (delay and such), an equalizer and a master volume knob. What happens is that through the clean channel the guitar sounds fine, but it sounds too distorted when I switch to the distortion channel. It used to sound nicely distorted before, but now it is beyond what would be described as pleasant distortion. Moreover, the effects would not work (in either of the channels). Oddly, this happens sporadically, or should I say, sometimes the amp works fine. Most of the time it sounds like this. There is also a loop in the back of the amp for effects pedals. I tried plugging the guitar in straight into the loop return and it sounds fine. The controls (channel, effects) don't work, of course, but the sounds is nice and clean.

I don't know anything about amps. I opened this one and everything looks OK to me, nothing looks disconnected.

This amp is quite cheap (<$100 used), and I'm wondering if a) the problem is small enough that I can fix it myself; b) something that an expert can fix quickly c) there's no point in fixing it as it would cost me more than the amp is worth.

Thanks a lot,

Veljko

joecool85

You say that it sounds fine when plugging straight into the loop.  Try plugging your guitar in the front like normally and using a patch cable to connect the out and in of the loop on the back of the amp.  It's possible you have a dirty/worn jack causing the issue.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com