Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:21:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

digitech rp250 power supply

Started by sweetspence, May 16, 2011, 08:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweetspence

I lost my psi and have been trying to find a replacement now the pedal requires 9vac 1.3 amps my question is how picky is a pedal like this? I have a psu that gives1.5 amps will it harm the pedal at all? Thanks

substratus

Quote from: sweetspence on May 16, 2011, 08:09:50 PM
the pedal requires 9vac 1.3 amps

First off I'm assuming you mean 9Vdc 1.3A. 9Vac would be pretty odd for such a device.

QuoteI have a psu that gives1.5 amps will it harm the pedal at all?

The pedal will only draw the current it needs, so you just need the current to be equal or higher.  It's the voltage you need to get exactly right. AC and DC are different so you need to be sure the new psu puts out the same type the pedal requires.

sweetspence

no it is ac, its retarded i know..... anyways yeah i found a wall wart at the goodwill and was overjoyed to make use of my $200 paperweight. i just wanted to double check and make sure i didnt fry the thing and have it remain and oversized paperweight lol
;D

jaysunten

Here's one at Allied Electronics:

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=9289919

It's 3.4amp. That should get it goin!

jason

Quote from: sweetspence on May 16, 2011, 08:09:50 PM
I lost my psi and have been trying to find a replacement now the pedal requires 9vac 1.3 amps my question is how picky is a pedal like this? I have a psu that gives1.5 amps will it harm the pedal at all? Thanks

techno-rachit

aren't you getting a 9VAC/2 Amp power supply?? using that would be very much ideal!

Enzo

If you want a circuit that runs analog on +/-12v, you pretty much have to start with AC.   Yes there are DC/DC conversion circuits that would develop an opposite polarity, but why make it complex when an AC supply is simple adn ready made?

If you have a 9VAC supply that can handle 1.5A and you only need 1.3A, that will be fine.  It is like using a heavier extension cord than you need at home.

sweetspence

so the ac power supply i found is dead... now the unit wants 12v ac so i assume it converts it to dc internally but can you use a dc input or would this not work due to the circuitry already in place?

sweetspence

J M Fahey

It probably uses 9VAC to internally make + and - 12V DC.
If you use a DC PSU it won´t be able to.
You´ll have to feed it what the label by the power jack (o the user manual) asks for, there´s no other way.
You must match voltage; if your transformer or PSU is able to feed more current than needed, no problem, it means it will run cooler or more relaxed, good.