Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:46:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

pot problem Torque bass amp

Started by milli0ne, September 22, 2008, 01:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milli0ne

Hi everybody

I really hope there's someone here who can help me.

I've got some problems with my Torque 30w bass amp. The pots were scratchy so i decided on replacing the gain and volume pots only.

I've ordered pcb 3 pin pots. But the original pots are 5 pins (some kind of extra casing for stability?).
First i replaced the volume pot, amp worked perfectly. Then I replaced the gain pot. I turned it on and i heard a loud 'pop' , and suddenly it's a radio. It was picking up radiosignals pretty hard. There was no signal coming through from my guitar whatsoever.

When I play a note hard on my bass i hear a loud distorted tone. If i play soft there's nothing.

So what's wrong here? :)  If anybody could give me just the smallest help i'd be very graitful :D

thx!!! marco.

joecool85

Wild guess, but it sounds like the gain pot you put in is defective.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

milli0ne

it doesn't do anything at all.. when i turn it all the way up there's no change in gain :s .. just like you say :) 
the pots are brand new :s

i'll replace it tomorrow and see if it works..

thx for your reply

J M Fahey

Check that the new pot was correctly soldered (sometimes the solder goes *around* the pot pin without being actually soldered to it),  check that some solder blob isn't shorting something it shouldn't, and last but not least, sometimes a PCB track (specially the thin/skinny ones) get cracked about 1mm from the actual soldered pad: in that case scratch carefully the (usually green or blue) solder mask and solder a tiny piece of wire to repair it. Good luck.

Enzo

Let me understand, you are putting 3-leg pots in where 5-leg pots belong?  And it doesn't work?

COuld be a defective pot, could be it is not appropriate for that pc board layout, could be a solder issue, could be damaged copper traces from installation.  If nothing else you can stick the old scratchy pot back in to make sure the rest of the amp is OK.

Jack1962

It's a bad pot , if you can half #$% solder it's pretty hard to incorrectly solder in a pot.

Rock On