Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:46:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

First real build. LM386.

Started by flester, December 20, 2017, 04:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flester

Quote from: Katoda on January 31, 2018, 09:26:57 AM

A jack like this one, but a mono version. Or stereo, doesn't matter. Plastic 6.3 mm jack
What is it called?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Katoda

It is just a plastic jack, no need for a name. You get these mostly everywhere they sell components, from Ali to Farnell and everything in between.

g1

They are sometimes called 'Cliff style' but that is a brand name.  Maybe 'leaf' style?
Neutrik NMJ4HF-S would be an example.

flester

Quote from: flester on January 23, 2018, 06:24:42 AM
Quote from: flester on January 16, 2018, 02:10:25 PM
Quote from: phatt on January 12, 2018, 08:14:07 AM
Hey some nice blues riff there :tu:
BTW, looks like you are driving a hifi type speaker box,, if so then be aware they are woofers and generally have a low SPL,, a real guitar speaker will give a much bigger sound,, louder per watt of input.
Phil.
A friend has a 12" guitar speaker I can use. Time for a bit of joinery I think

Works as a harmonica amp too. I made the mic using a headphone speaker. The black box on the right contains a Kemo preamp module, needed to overdrive the amp. A Danelectro overdrive pedal works too. https://flic.kr/p/22mhiVv

Amp seems to have got more 'scratchy' since I first used it. Usually if I slightly overdrive it but its OK when I run it flat out (i.e. give it the full 0.75W !). Could some component have deteriorated  from being overdriven? or did I just not notice at the start?

flester

Quote from: g1 on January 31, 2018, 08:50:10 PM
They are sometimes called 'Cliff style' but that is a brand name.  Maybe 'leaf' style?
I meant to ask about the switching part. I want it to switch off the speaker when a plug is plugged in. Is it just called a switched jack?

flester

BTW, looks like you are driving a hifi type speaker box,, if so then be aware they are woofers and generally have a low SPL,, a real guitar speaker will give a much bigger sound,, louder per watt of input.
Phil.

Finally did the joinery ( takes me a while to do stuff!) I now have the amp and some pedals powered by a single PS in a case and going in to the 1x12. Plenty loud for home use and a great platform for bigger amp builds.
Speaker good for up tp 80w.
1w amp and pedals into 1x12 cab
https://imgur.com/gallery/lKMg7CR

phatt

Quote from: flester on April 08, 2018, 05:22:45 PM
Quote from: g1 on January 31, 2018, 08:50:10 PM
I meant to ask about the switching part. I want it to switch off the speaker when a plug is plugged in. Is it just called a switched jack?

Yes very common switched socket,, the plastic ones lift the connection when you insert a plug. there is a pic at top of page.
Phil.

phatt

Quote from: flester on January 05, 2019, 05:26:04 PM
Phil.

Finally did the joinery ( takes me a while to do stuff!) I now have the amp and some pedals powered by a single PS in a case and going in to the 1x12. Plenty loud for home use and a great platform for bigger amp builds.
Speaker good for up tp 80w.
1w amp and pedals into 1x12 cab
https://imgur.com/gallery/lKMg7CR

Yes a real guitar speaker makes a much better sound. 8|
Phil.

phatt

Quote from: flester on March 23, 2018, 09:07:55 AM
Quote from: flester on January 23, 2018, 06:24:42 AM
Phil.

Works as a harmonica amp too. I made the mic using a headphone speaker. The black box on the right contains a Kemo preamp module, needed to overdrive the amp. A Danelectro overdrive pedal works too. https://flic.kr/p/22mhiVv

Amp seems to have got more 'scratchy' since I first used it. Usually if I slightly overdrive it but its OK when I run it flat out (i.e. give it the full 0.75W !). Could some component have deteriorated  from being overdriven? or did I just not notice at the start?

If you changed the speaker then you will hear different freq than you heard through other speakers. It was likely there you just did not notice it.
Phil.