Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:06:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

'70s Carvin ST212 - Combo Version of ST2500

Started by 79adam79, January 05, 2013, 12:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

79adam79

I'm thinking about buying a used '70s Carvin ST212 Combo, based on the ST2500 head. There aren't any videos (that I could find) online that demo this amp, so I'm posting this in hopes that someone out there owns, or has tried one. I'm looking for something portable to play live shows. Most important to me is the clean channel. I currently own one amp, a Peavey VTM 120. I love it's dirt tone, but it definitely lacks a clean sound. The ST212 has 2 channels, which I assume is one clean and one dirty. This amp hasn't been on my radar, but the price is right, so it's worth a test drive. I was originally interested in the Randal RG80 combo, until I found out that it's two channels bleed into one another. I'd prefer a 1x12 combo, just based on it's weight, but like I was saying, the price is right for this 2x12.

Thanks,
-Adam

J M Fahey

1) this is an old and obscure amp.
Finding "somebody who used and recommends it" is close to impossible.
Anybody, why do you need somebody else's opinion? (which you won't get).
Just plug your guitar and play, let your ears be the judge.

2) no , it does not have "a clean and a dirty channel".
It's a 70's amp, remember?
It does have a Master volume which allows for some overdrive and one channel has a boost called "Sustain drive" but no, no channel switching.

79adam79

Quote from: J M Fahey on January 05, 2013, 07:17:13 AM
2) no , it does not have "a clean and a dirty channel".
It's a 70's amp, remember?
It does have a Master volume which allows for some overdrive and one channel has a boost called "Sustain drive" but no, no channel switching.

Then why does this Carvin Ad from '78, located here: http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/78-guitaramps.html, mention that this particular amp has 2 channels?

substratus

In the description of the ST212 it calls it a "second independent channel", in the one of the ST2500/ST4500 it says "Channel Two is designed for a second intrument or mic."  What I'm getting from that is that it has two distinct preamps, each with their own inputs connected to a single power amp.