Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:40:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Line 6 Question

Started by cb7kid92, March 13, 2012, 01:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb7kid92

Hey guys, new here. I have a Line 6 spider 3 15 watt amp and a rogue cg 30 just collecting dust. now, would i be able to connect the rogue to the line 6 and have it act as a cab? i love the tone my line 6 has, i just want a little more oomph to the sound. the rogue has two input on it, high and low.

J M Fahey

You can connect the Line 6 line out to the Rogue line or loop in, if available, or to a front input if not.

mexicanyella

Hi, I'm new here too. I do something like what you're asking about all the time, using a Peavey Audition 20 in the way you'd be using the Line 6: as sort of a tone supplier to another amp.

My Peavey's line out jack sends a signal that can safely drive another amp's instrument input, if the Peavey's volume is kept fairly low. Chances are yours is similar; just set the receiving (or slave) amp to a clean, neutral-sounding tone so as to color the Line 6 tone as little as possible. Experiment with gain/volume settings on the Rogue, always trying for a clean, neutral sound and while keeping an ear out for "input overload" distortion, which might happen if the Line 6 signal is pretty hot and the Rogue's input gain is turned up too much to hande it.

If the slave/receiving amp, the Rogue in your case, has a "line in," "power amp in" or "effects return" jack, use that, because it will bypass the Rogue's tone controls and send the Line 6's "line out" signal straight to the Rogue's power amp section, making it act as a powered speaker, and all tone/volume control would come from the Line 6 that way.

The process of slaving a tone you like through something else can sometimes give surprising results, both good and bad. In my case, I still hear and like the basic gritty-clean character of my amp through other amps, but something about the combination of my amp's own internal power stage/small open-back cabinet/tired old 8" speaker definitely adds to the sound I like, and is absent when I slave it into something else.

Post again with your results after you've tried it!

joecool85

I've done the "slave" amp thing too, works wonderfully.  I've even used an old Fender 30w bass amp as a slave with good results.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

mexicanyella

I forgot to mention in my previous post that one of the surprising slaving experiments I tried involved running the little Peavey's line out into the FX return of an older Laney AOR 50 tube head, driving some 4 x 12 cabinet.

The AOR 50 was a pain to dial in, with all its various cutting/boosting functions you accessed by pulling out knobs. "Replacing" its overpopulated tube preamp temporarily with the simple 5-knob SS Peavey circuit sounded better to me. And hearing my Peavey tone through a 2 x EL34 power stage and 4 x 12 cabinet was pretty cool, too.

Well, the guy who owned the Laney half-stack didn't think it was as cool as I did, but what the hell.

J M Fahey

*His* problem, not yours ;)