Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 04:11:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

New guy on an amp quest

Started by HW_Hack, March 11, 2014, 12:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HW_Hack

Quick background - Electronics degree (2yr) back in the '80s - then 5yrs doing digital debug on an assembly line - then 15yrs doing both debug and digital design. Lots of fussing over nanoseconds..

I haven't touched an op-amp since school and only in the past year fiddled with some BJT and FETs on some simple stomp boxes. Spent the past few weeks learning Eagle CAD and just FAB'd my first PCB for $11 - a basic LM317 - which is a pretty amazing price. So next up I'm going to keep it simple and do a Ruby LM386 amp and have that FAB'd --- only change is to add an input so I can connect an iPod for jamming.

On the cabinet side I've ordered a Jensen 8" MOD speaker to build a small combo-cab. This will all be small low watt stuff -- but I envision a bay in the cabinet where i can slide in different amp modules. After the Ruby I'd like to try a 2 - 5W design. As to effects all I really need is clean and overdrive - maybe slight distortion.

I'll have some questions as I start to breadboard up the Ruby and iPod circuit. As to the quality of my questions I can make no promises.

Roly

Welcome HW_Hack.

All questions welcome and taken seriously.  Well mostly.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

gbono

Check out these 8" speakers from the Fender Acoustasonic 150...if the link doesn't work it is part type 299-079 at Partsexpress.

http://www.parts-express.com/fender-8-full-range-speaker-8-ohm--299-079

HW_Hack

I plow ahead as I have time - and of course I always think I should have bought 10" speakers, but then I need to start somewhere.

Here is the speaker I'm using -
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/jensen-mod8-20-20w-8-replacement-speaker

I found the huge Solid-State Guitar Amp PDF ---- wow a ton of good stuff in there

J M Fahey

Welcome to this  :duh  place   ;)
And you already have a killer speaker.
Start with your Ruby and later you'll be able to upgrade to some very usable 10/15W TDA20xx based amp.

JHow

Quote from: J M Fahey on March 12, 2014, 06:07:30 AM...And you already have a killer speaker.

+1 on this.  Those Jensen Mods are a great value.  I recently sold  a peavey amp where the speaker was dead so I replaced it with 12"-70W Jensen mod.  The buyer was playing the amp and made the comment that "These old Eminences are good" and I told him, no, it's a Jensen Mod.  "Huh!", he said.