Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 07:08:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Introduction, and question about power supplies.

Started by docz, February 13, 2010, 06:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J M Fahey

Hi docz, congratulations. :tu:
You got lucky so far, but don't stretch it.
1) bridging amps calls for 4 (four) times the current, since you are not increasing voltage but quadrupling power.
Many don't notice it, think they just double it, but it's not so.
Kludging together 8 wall warts is not only not cost-effective, but outright dangerous. :loco
Sell them and buy 1 (one) good transformer. :tu:

docz

So bridging the two chips will draw more power than running them in stereo (which is what I did now)?

Selling them is a no no, I allready hacked them up to test it out.

Oh well. I guess I will use them in the testing phase, and the fork out the cash for a real transformer.
But it was a fun thought to power the circuit from a $2 source :)

BTW. I have an old PC ATX power supply laying around, it has lots of coils in it. Is there any way I can identify voltage/windings and so from the numbers printed on top of them? Or will I have to hook them up to a power source and test?

DocZ

phatt

Quote from: docz on February 18, 2010, 05:11:56 AM
So bridging the two chips will draw more power than running them in stereo (which is what I did now)?

Selling them is a no no, I allready hacked them up to test it out.

Oh well. I guess I will use them in the testing phase, and the fork out the cash for a real transformer.
But it was a fun thought to power the circuit from a $2 source :)

BTW. I have an old PC ATX power supply laying around, it has lots of coils in it. Is there any way I can identify voltage/windings and so from the numbers printed on top of them? Or will I have to hook them up to a power source and test?

DocZ

Puter psu is a *Switchmode* PSU and does not use a normal transformer.
I would steer well clear of them until you develop a deeper understanding of how they work. (some of the internal parts are *MAINS LIVE*) :o
Phil.

docz

I just posted some pictures and stuff on my blog about this attempt, so you and others can see.
http://krayzyhead.blogspot.com/2010/02/tda2030-power-amp.html

I have a quick question, what do you call those connectors used to connect to pin headers on motherboards and such and what tools do I need to install them?

DocZ