Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:39:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Hello and Crate amp guidance

Started by Roomba, July 09, 2007, 10:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roomba

Hello from your forum noob. I was glad to find this forum from my searching efforts.

Anywho, I have a couple of quick directional questions. So if these are covered elsewhere, please forgive a forum noob.

1. I have a Crate GX30M that crackles intermitently. My main guitar is a Ibanez RG series. The crackle happens on the clean channel.  I have the reverb on but on 3 or 4.  I think I bought it in 1990 or 1991. I know the amp is not worth much but I would like to see if I can repair it before I invest in another amp. Where should I start?

2. Is this book: The Complete Guide to Guitar and Amp Maintenance: A Practical Manual for Every Guitar Player any good for troubleshooting? Would any of you reccomend one that is better?

Thanks in advance!

teemuk

First, clean the potentiometers and jacks. If that doesn't remove the problem then check the condition of solder joints in potentiometers, jacks, switches and other PC board-mounted parts that you can shake while adjusting. If that doesn't help then check the condition of solder joints in large PC board-mounted parts like the main filter caps, high-power resistors etc. If you hear an increase in hum when the crackling sounds appear redo the solder joints of main filter caps first.

The potentiometers and the flimsy channel selector switch are, in my experience, the greatest cause of problems in the GX lineup. Their solder joints get broken pretty fast.

joecool85

Also, just to be safe, you really should drain the caps with a light bulb so you don't get a 30v zap when soldering in there.  You said you are a newbie and I don't know if you just mean on guitar amp repair, or electronics in general.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Roomba

First off: A big thanks for the help.  ;D I really had no idea where to start.

teemuck:

Alright: I will look into the potentiometers on the amp. Some of the posts made this the starting point. It has been well traveled around the country and not in the best conditions. If that stuff is flimsy, it probably wriggled itself out. I have access to a multimeter and can check things for resistance and capacitance.

joecool85:

You are right on both assumptions: I do not deal with guitar amp electronics or electronic workings. Oddly enough, I rebuilt a Squire a few years back with limited knowledge. I am probably lucky I have not electrocuted myself. That said, I will be careful. I know electricity can be stored but I though caps dissipated with time. I appreciate the heads up.

So I will go get it and see what I can do. Like I said, the amp is decent for me and I don't want to toss it out if it is a small problem.

Again, thank you.