Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 11:09:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

looking for speakers...

Started by reefrider07, August 16, 2011, 01:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reefrider07

So, I'm re-building an old orange (i think) 4x12 cabinet.  I have it all done, and I'm looking for two speakers to match the two I already have.  I have two celestion g12t-75's already.  I want something that will sound good with them.  I was thinking vintage 30's, but they're kinda pricey..  I'm looking for speakers that would give me a nice tight sound, with a lot bass.  I play metal and punk.

J M Fahey

Speakers are a very personal choice, but for me low cost+good sound are found in Jensens.
Their MOD series is very affordable and what Bugera used in their 4x12" with excellent results (today they use their own chinese made).
Google Jensen MOD1270

reefrider07

Those look like great speakers, especially for the price.  I'm assuming that you've used them before, if so what do you think of them and what kind of sounds did you get out of them?  Do you know where they are made?

J M Fahey

Imagine a classic "Fendery" sound. Sparkly bright with round bass. (Steve Ray Vaughan) That's a Jensen sound.
Now a "Marshally" one. Punchy but in a different way, more middly and nasal. (Purple, Megadeath, Iron Maiden) That's a Celestion.
MODs are 50% one, 50% the other. Interesting sound.
Bugera 4x12" used them, got very good user reviews (the kind that matters), check Harmony Central, and 7string.
They are made in Italy , in the impressive modern Sica factory.

reefrider07

I saw that you make amps, do you make any tube heads?

J M Fahey

Hi reefrider.
Yes, I do some , but I'm way beyond needing them.
Just for the record, becuse we live at least 8000 miles away  :'(
Oh well.