Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:39:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Hughes and Kettner Handle repair help

Started by outrightrubix, May 10, 2010, 02:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outrightrubix

Hey People

I'm wanting to repair the handle on my Hughes and Kettner Vortex Black Series Combo. The rubber sleeve has split revealing the sharp metal strap underneath.

I've found pictures of the head version of the amp here which has the same handle and same screws on the back:

http://www.bazaar-world.com/guitar-amp-12651-Hughes-Kettner-100W-Vortex-Black-Series-Guitar-Head

I need to get underneath the plastic caps at the ends of the handle which are covering the fixing screws. I first thought I'd be able to prize these off with a screwdriver but they are firmly fixed. I then thought about getting underneath through the back of the amp. Problem is I'm worried if I take out the wrong screws some component will drop down and get damaged.

I'm reluctant to pay for someone else to repair it because it's only a handle and should be easy to repair.

Can anyone help

Thanks a lot

phatt

Don't hold me to it but with most of these devices the cover either slides off or pops off.
It does require a fair bit of pressure to get them off.
I very much doubt they come apart from underside,, but they all make things just a little bit different.
So work slowly and carefully,,, and walk away if it all makes you mad as that's when most folks stuff up and later regret.
BTW,
       Do you have another handle to replace with?
They do not normally sell the strap alone,,, you have to buy a whole new handle.
Just a thought.
Phil.

J M Fahey

As Phatt said, those plastic caps either pop straight up or slide horizontally, they have some internal small but strong "ribs" that grab the handle strap itself.
You should be able to get a similar handle for a low price, but as an interim replacement you can slip a piece of garden hose over the metal strap.

tonyharker

outrightrubix

Great thanks I managed to do it. don't know why i had a problem with it in the frst place!