Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:46:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Mono 3886?

Started by Dr.Beat, September 20, 2006, 05:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Beat

I'm a poor high school student, but really would like to start venturing into more powerful amps, as opposed to little Rubies and Little Gems. My problem is, I don't have any big cabs (or any cabs really) to run a Stereo chipamp through. The most I could probably afford is to build a 1x10 or 1x12 cab with an inexpensive speaker. I wouldnt imagine it would be too smart, nor efficient, to try and run a stereo power amp into a single speaker. Could I just run half of the stereo kit into a single speaker? Also, how much power would the single 3886 give me?

joecool85

I have a mono LM3886 actually, it gives 50watts at 8ohms and 68watts at 4ohms.  It's a really loud setup.  And yes you can run half a stereo kit, but instead of buying a stereo kit, it would make more sense to buy a mono kit.  If you want to get one from chipamp.com, just email Brian and he will set you up.  That's how I got mine :-)
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Dr.Beat

Suh-weet!

Can't wait to get started on this bad boy. . . but i suppose it would be wiser to purchase the parts for a cabinet before I start building the amp. . . need something to test it on! Then again, couldnt I run a CD player something similar into the chipamp, then hook it up to one of the speakers i have hooked up to my stereo (assuming they're 4 or 8 ohms and can handle the 50 or 68 watts, of course)?

joecool85

Yup, sure can.  In fact, thats what those kits are designed for lol.  I'm using a LM1875 stereo amp as my computer speaker amplifier.  Works great  8|
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Dr.Beat