Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 02:56:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Replacement Speaker for Roland Jazz Chorus 160

Started by shizui, August 29, 2007, 01:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shizui

I'm new to this forum so apologies if this is a bit basic. I have a Roland Jazz Chorus 60 from about 1979 (it is very much one of the earlier models without the bright switch or power amp inputs which appeared on the later models) and it has blown a speaker. Replacements for this (I have been told) are not available from Roland so I was wondering firstly what is the next best option available. It is a 10 inch 8 ohm speaker, and each pair of speakers (there are 4) is driven by an 80W power amp. My understanding is these are 'flat response' speakers and I was told are closer to hifi speakers than guitar speakers.

A second query I had was that the Jazz Chorus 90 (still in production) uses 10 inch 8 ohm speakers with one speaker per 40W amp but I was told these were not appropriate. Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks in advance.

LJ King

It's been a while, but a friend had one of those. I swear I remember the speakers being 16 ohm units. He sold it several years back, but I called him and he remembers them being 16 ohms as well - connected in parallel for 8 ohms total per side.

The ohms rating is the only reason I can think of why a particular 10" speaker may not be appropriate.

shizui

Your are right! My mistake. Still begs the question though - what is an appropriate flat response 16 Ohm 10" speaker?

teemuk

Maybe a Pro Audio ("PA") speaker would be flat enough - I think those are made a bit more "neutral" than dedicated instrument speakers. That 16-ohm rating will be a problem though, as it severily limits the selection (most speakers tend to be either 4 or 8-ohm).

joecool85

If you look through websites like musiciansfriend.com you are bound to find at least a handful of 16 ohm speakers.  You could also try partsexpress.com
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com