Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 06:19:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Running Noisy Cricket on 12V....

Started by momo, August 06, 2007, 05:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momo

Hello to all!....After sucessfully building a 12v Ruby augmented with a AMZ mosfet booster and a Hearthrob tremolo from DIY Stompbox(see picture thread), ill be trying a similar build but with a Noisy Cricket. Ive read that the Cricket sounds better at 9v than 12.Im guessing it has less headroom and breaks up faster, so probably for clipping its better at 9v.
Now since its a close copy of a Ruby design wise, I guess it would also have more headroom and clip less easily.
I am going to add some kind of booster before the Cricket, possibly a switchable Rangemaster....(dont know if it will run on 12v, possibly by rebiasing the ge tranny.)

The reason I ask is that the 12v supply lasts for ages on these type amps and I like having more clean headroom,
so the question is, if I put a booster in front, then it should act like its on 9v  with the distortion right?
That would drive the 386 similar to the Ruby?

momo

So I guess ill try it and then answer myself....if it helps anyone out( in the 72), then this post will have been worth it! ::)

no offence to anyone here, but my patience has run out!
Cheers

obelix

have you tried it? any adverse effects?

momo

Quote from: obelix on August 28, 2007, 05:18:34 AM
have you tried it? any adverse effects?

Ill be building this in september...no time before that!

obelix