Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:40:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Sunn Beta Lead/Bass Builds?

Started by comradehoser, June 14, 2022, 09:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

comradehoser

Hello folks, first-time post.

Originally, I had joined because I was trying to suss out the issues of my daughter's Orange 12L amp, and it turned out to be the 4558 chip.

But!  I have built several pedals and find electronics pretty fun.  My favorite pedal currently is one that I built myself--the Sunn Beta Lead/Bass based on the PCB by PCB Guitar Mania and kitted by Das Musikding.  It had nothing but issues, but when I finally got it fired up--just wow.  Really amazing cleans, massive distortion, and the EQ is the stuff.  No idea how close it is to the real deal, but it made me want to try to build the actual thing.

I can find schematics, but other than wiring to board, and creating my own enclosure, are there any other options?  And yes, I did see the option to buy a broken one and fix it, but even that is suffering the "Peavey syndrome" and what was once affordable is now desirable and boutique and costs the money$$.  Is it kitted somewhere? 

Tassieviking

Have you tried making your own PCB?
I like using KiCad to make up PCB's for whatever I want to build, I get 5 PCB's from JLCPCB for the price I can order one from someone else.
If you download KiCad you should be able to check out the PCB I made for the Sunn Beta, my design is adaptable for the Bass or Lead version, just install the right components.
I guessed at the spacing of the pots so they will not match the original amp, but close enough for me.
Look up: https://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=5080.msg39729#msg39729

I think I left all the files there, including the Gerber files I sent to JLCPCB when I ordered my PCB's
If you want to use my PCB just order some.
I think I have tested the Bass version of my PCB, but not completely sure, I have had a messed up year so far.
There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.