Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 11:44:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

First post

Started by beecee, August 16, 2011, 06:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beecee

Hi all, I hope I'm adding to this thread rather than stealing it!

First time post, after lurking for a while. Sorry in advance for the newbie questions. You're a patient bunch!

I decided i wanted to build a small, funky combo for home use, something I can get a good blues tone out of at apartment levels. After finding an old sewing machine case with outrageous tolex, I figured I'd buy a Valve Junior head with a Supro mod kit and call it done, but ultimately it would still be too loud for home, and I'd already done something similar. So I guess I'm looking for a new challenge. I've modded a VJ and built a few pedals, and am comfortable with a soldering iron. me & schematics are still getting to know each other.

I found the Tiny Giant amp kit while poking around & after a bit of thinking, I thought that using a Supreaux Deux kit from ROG would be the ticket (http://www.runoffgroove.com/sd.html). I just received both the TG & the Supreaux Deux PCBs (the latter nicely done by one of the guys at DIYStompboxes, John Lyons). Match that with an old 6x9 elliptical Rola, and it's silicon heaven, I think.

My idea is pretty simple - for you guys!

- An input that accesses the preamp (done :-)
- An input that bypasses the preamp & connects directly to the power amp, so I could use different stompboxes, or Amplitube, etc.
- Drive & Tone from the Supreaux preamp & optionally leave off its volume. Power amp would have a volume as it's designed.
- A speaker out that would disconnect the internal speaker.

http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=651.0 has lots of good info, but it's way over this minnow's head.

I'll have separate power supplies to power both the pre & power amps, and I've discussed with Taylor how to connect the preamp to the Tiny Giant. What I don't know how to do is what kind of jack to use for the poweramp in & where to insert it, and where to insert the speaker out (well, really line out). Also, is it worth leaving off the preamp volume?

Thanks in advance for the advice & this great forum!

J M Fahey

To avoid confusion (and frustration) build and add things one at a time.
Of course nothing wrong with making all holes at once from the beginning, even if you only fill a couple with the first basic module (which should be the power amp + PSU)
Once you have that one debugged and happily running, you go on, step by step.
And you learn along the way.
What's a Tiny Giant amp?
Please link to it, specially its schematic.
Good luck.

beecee

Thanks for the good common-sense advice. I'll follow it!

I assumed in my newbiness that the Tiny Giant was fairly well known on the forum. It's a 20 watt amp that uses a laptop power supply and it looks to be well thought-out and solid. I like the idea of using a PS most people just throw away, and it plus the 18V PS for the Supreaux Deux will fit inside the combo.

The Tiny Giant is here, with a link to the build doc & schematic: http://musicpcb.com/pcbs/tiny-giant-amp/

I bought the PCB + parts, and it looks really good.

Builder's forum here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=89687.0

joecool85

I know about the Tiny Giant amp, its quite a nice little piece and includes a built in buffer/preamp at the front of the circuit.  This means if you only want clean signal you could run it without any other preamp.  If you want an OD channel, simply make a stompbox circuit that can go in front of the Tiny Giant and you're done!

I would suggest making an enclosure with a bunch of standard 1/4" mono jacks.

Include jacks for:

Preamp in (plug guitar in here)
Preamp out
Power amp in
Power amp out (plug speaker in here)

You can use a short patch cable to hook the preamp out and poweramp in together when you want to use it as a combo, or you could unplug it and use just one section for something else.  It could be very versatile.  I would run the Supreaux Deux in front of the preamp with a DPDT switch just like a stompbox except hardwired in.  The 1/4" jack for "preamp in" would go to the DPDT that would make it either go through the Supreax or straight to the Tiny Giant.

**edit**
I forgot to mention, I split the topic because this was really worthy of it's own thread.

Good luck and welcome to the board!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

beecee

Hi Joe et al, sorry I haven't posted for a bit - traveling & life in general, you know.

I have everything ready to go, but won't be building it for a while yet due to the abovementioned life. I figure it will be 6-8 weeks before I can start in on it.

I'll let you all know how it goes once I do.

Bruce

beecee

Hi everyone, just to let you know I finally finished the amp I started in mid-August. I learned a lot along the way - all about charge pumps, NC jacks, etc. It's done & I'm pleased as heck with it. The build thread is here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101724142776681014815/LittleBluesAmp?locked=true

If I can do it, anyone can - thanks for the encouragement.

beecee

J M Fahey

Hey !! LOved it !!
Cool !!!

joecool85

Came out great, how's it sound with that 6x9?
thatraymond.com

beecee

I dunno why, but I like that 6x9 - it's ... weird in a good way. Not what you expect.

When I bypass the Supreaux & plug Podfarm into the amp in (I've got an AC30 + Tweed Champ rig I really like), the 6x9 makes that sound pretty interesting as well.

I'm still getting to know it, but I've got a quirky amp that makes me smile when I play it, and I thank you all for the good advice given. Fun times!!

joecool85

Quote from: beecee on February 20, 2012, 06:18:45 PM
I'm still getting to know it, but I've got a quirky amp that makes me smile when I play it, and I thank you all for the good advice given. Fun times!!

That's great, enjoy it!
thatraymond.com