Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 06:35:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Good websites to start?

Started by surfsup, November 22, 2010, 06:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfsup

I have taken some EE classes in college, and have played guitar, soldered wiring harnesses, etc. but never anything to the extent of a valve amp, but I'm interested in challenging myself.

However, I can't seem to find any websites dedicated to valve amp circuit design and really going through the basics, planning, the design of the circuit, the math involved, contruction, etc.

Everthing I see eventually reverts to getting a kit, or finding a schematic. I'd like to create a schematic and build this. Anyone have any good links for me? TIA

joecool85

Well, this is a good website to start with right here.  So, welcome and post often!

http://www.sophtamps.ca/mambo/index.php

This is another good site that has information on low wattage tube amps.  I built one using a variation on one of his schematics and it helped me learn a great deal about valve technology. 
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

QuoteI'd like to create a schematic and build this.
Excellent !!
It can be done, of course.
The price? : you'll have to study, and back that with practice, evenyually tahe some servicing too which will *force* you to think in practical ways.
Even before Electronics proper, I'd start with Physics101 , the electrical part, where you learn what an electron is, voltage, current, resistor, capacitor, inductor, transformer, insulator, conductor, etc.
Also Ohm's Law, measuring instruments, power, etc.
I've seen *tons* of guys getting straight into Electronics, full blast, without having the full concept of what these building bricks are, and then stumbling along the way.
Those who know things by heart, may perfectly build standard things, but to design proper you have to master what I told you.
It isn't even *that* hard, in the long way it's the shortest path.
Anyway start building classica,  things designed by others or even kits, you need to cut your teeth on something and gain strength step by step.
Welcome and good luck.

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on November 22, 2010, 10:50:02 PM

Anyway start building classica,  things designed by others or even kits, you need to cut your teeth on something and gain strength step by step.

Excellent advice.  I know you specifically didn't want to do a kit, but it sure does help you get the basics down.  Also, depending on what you do for a kit, it can be sold for more than you bought it for when it's all assembled.  A firefly is a good example of this.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com