Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:28:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Newbie wanting to build Bass Guitar Amplifier

Started by Rips, September 19, 2012, 06:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rips

I've been lurking around in this forum for quite sometime. I find that, comparing to other forums, a sense of family is there. I've find that very interesting. That's why i'm interested in joining here. Sounds corny, but that's the truth.

I am planning to build a bass guitar amp and i find that there is a dearth of specific plans that i can use (maybe i did not see the obvious one). The funny part is i have to build my amp around the speaker that I'm getting. I live in the northeastern part of India (near Myanmar) and it is very difficult to source quality speaker. Luckily, my cousin is bringing me an Eminence LEGEND B810 from Canada ( it seems its the smallest she can find around her area to fit in her luggage). So, all the design has to revolve around this particular speaker. So, i have the following questions:

1. What wattage of amp will be suitable to drive it?  The amp will be mostly used for home/indoor application.
2. What components will you suggest - chip amp or solid state?
3. Can the Rod Elliot Project 27 be used or any other design? (I don't have any knowledge of circuit design and i have to build my amp based on ready-made design)
4. So far, the only amps that i have build are based on LM 386, TDA2030, LM1875 and a simple transistor amp using 2N3055. So, i cannot  attempt complicated design.

Thanks,
Rips

polo16mi

I tryied this http://www.construyasuvideorockola.com/proy_prebass.php  with nice results.

You can build the preamp and use the power amp stage that you like

hope help.

J M Fahey

Buy **ANY** speaker EXCEPT the Eminence B810.
It's a 32 ohm speaker meant to be used in 8x10" boxes ... and I bet she's bringing back only one ...
Get the 8 ohm version instead: BP102 , or even better, a Beta 10A which is more efficient.
The Rodd Elliott projects are fine.
Even his guitar preamp works very well for Bass, if you do not use the clipping diodes at the end.
Good luck.

BUT FIRST OF ALL TELL YOUR FRIEND TO BUY THE PROPER SPEAKER !!!!!!!!!

Rips

@ polo16mi ....I've check it. Let me see if i can fabricate the PCB myself. Otherwise i might have to go for a simpler one.

@ J M Fahey...Thanks for the info. I've called her up and ask her to get the Beta 10A, seems it is the same price and weight/size as the Legend.

What do you say to the Pre-Amp listed and connecting it with the Rod Elliot Amp. I have found this website. Seem to be quite easy to use.

http://www.albertkreuzer.com/preamp.htm

polo16mi

I dont mounted it, but it was my plan "b" if rb400 clone goes wrong.

I readed a lot of good comments about it. Looks simple and cheap, so worth the try too.

J M Fahey

Yes, it's good.
Albert Kreuzer was a friend of mine, and unfortunately died one year ago, very young.
He was 40 something and an excellent Classic Music and Jazz double bass player.

Rips

@JM Fahey...So sorry that he died, i was looking forward to some of the projects that he said will be posted.

I am decided on the Kreuzer Pre-Amp looks simple enough and the parts are available. And, best for me, the PCB design is there.

I have seen the TDA7293 based Randell Amp in http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=2324.0. What do you say to the above preamp driving this amp. Again, the simplicity and readymade PCD is a boon for me.

Also, i finally get the Eminence BETA 12A  :dbtu: After checking out some bass amp design, do you think i'll need a HF driver/tweeter too. If needed, I can get them from here http://ahujaradios.com/productcategory.asp?id=7&sc_id=49

J M Fahey

Cool.
The Beta 12 is even better.
personally I prefer these Pro type woofers to any "bass guitar" ones, specially because they are more efficient, the opposite of what could be expected.
You can add a cheap Piezo tweter and an ON/OFF switch.
For "normal" Rock sound you do not need it, but it's good if you play Fusion Jazz, Funk, slap a lot and/or have a modern active bass.
Good luck.

Rips

Thanks for the reply. However, as i dont have much knowledge, i need to ask the following questions again:

1. Whether the chip amp TDA7293 be ok to drive the amp? I am not using it for public performance. It will be basically for use indoor.
2. Will i need to put a crossover network after the power amp to  divide between the woofer and the tweeter.

J M Fahey

Yes, TDA7293/94 or LM3886 are all similar, good for 50/60W which is fine .
You don't *really* need a tweeter unless you slap *a lot* but anyway those tweeters you linked are Piezos, which have a "built in crossover".
Only precaution is to connect a 10 to 47 ohms resistor in series with the tweeter, around 2W dissipation.
You can add a switch in the cabinet to turn Tweeter on/off.

Roly

Now, if you've got a preamp, an amp, and a driver, you need a box to put the driver in.

For your consideration a rear-loaded J-Scoop horn design from the Audio Engineering Society which is scaled for 12, 15 or 18 inch drivers.  You could add up to four bullet tweeters in the corners if desired.  Horns are more complicated to build and take up more volume than a simple direct radiator cabinet, but in my opinion they are worth the trouble because the multiply the effective power of the rig by several times, and give it a gut-thumping bottom end that is hard to get with raw power.

http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=2621.msg18498#msg18498
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.