Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:32:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Volume/sound quality of the Little Gem MKII vs the Ruby

Started by Hillio, December 06, 2007, 12:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hillio

Hi.  I was just wondering whether anyone here has built both the Ruby and Little GEM MKII from ROG.  I built a Ruby recently, and it sounds great for it's size and simpicity.  I was curious whether the dual, bridged 386's that the MKII uses really affect the sound that much compared to the original Little Gem or the Ruby.  Obviously the power output should double, but does the amp sound significantly better than a single 386?  I plan on putting one of these together when I get time so I can test it for myself, but I thought I would ask your opinions anyhow.

Thanks

demonofthenight

I tried to build a little-gemmk2 before I built my noisy-cricket (which is a modified ruby with better cleans and tone control). All I found was problems, bad tone, and way too much gain. But it is louder, the little gem mk2 is louder than a noisy cricket.

Personally, I like the tone of my noisy cricket, but it doesnt sound too good on high volumes. So I'm either gonna find a poweramp for it or a maybe attach a headphone input.

I've attached a perf-board design of the noisy cricket and here are the schmematics: http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/NoisyCricket/DIY/NoisyCricket_Mark2_BuildGuide.pdf

suprleed

I'm planning a 386 based amp and also was wondering how much louder the bridged 386 was compared to a single chip.  Which design would you guys recommend for maximum clean volume (ruby, gem, gem mkII, cricket, etc.).  I wouldn't mind a little overdrive at higher settings, but would like some good clean tones so I can test different effects, pickups, etc.  Also, any input on which design has the least amount of noise?  My current SS amp hisses and hums like no other.

Thx.