Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:57:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Common cathode or common anode?

Started by Den., October 14, 2023, 06:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den.

I'm working on my Peavey amp and I need to replace a few 3mm, 3-leg LEDs. In ordering, I have a choice of common cathode or common anode. How would I determine which I need?

mandu

The picture you posted shows common cathode (connected to the -ve).
The other two are for red or green (or yellow if you power both) goes to the +ve
The limiting resistor may be 1 if wired on the cathode or 2 nos. if wired from anodes.
regards.

Den.

Quote from: Den. on October 14, 2023, 06:51:47 PMI'm working on my Peavey amp and I need to replace a few 3mm, 3-leg LEDs. In ordering, I have a choice of common cathode or common anode. How would I determine which I need?
I just found these schematics online; perhaps they tell what the LEDs are.

Den.

Quote from: mandu on October 14, 2023, 10:53:46 PMThe picture you posted shows common cathode (connected to the -ve).
The other two are for red or green (or yellow if you power both) goes to the +ve
The limiting resistor may be 1 if wired on the cathode or 2 nos. if wired from anodes.
regards.
Thanks for your help.

WimWalther

The basic diode symbol consists of a triangle with a bar across the point. Other diode types (zener, schottkey, tunnel, LED,etc.) are slight variations on this basic symbol.

But in all cases, the bar is the Cathode and the triangle is the Anode. This is universal.