Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:42:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Help repairing crate xt65r

Started by shinychrome0, January 21, 2010, 05:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinychrome0

Was the short just something temporary?  Because the transistor itself tested fine.  It didn't seem to be any worse for the wear.

J M Fahey

You got lucky.
Under designed tracks worked as fuses and saved you.
If the transistor tests well and works well ... leave it there.
Just write a "?" sign besides it to remember and if someday you are bored and have a spare, replace it, just to be 110% sure.
As is, I'd trust it 95% which is good enough in my book.

tbernard

I realize this topic is ancient, but I have the same issue with an xt65r.

I picked it up cheap today, and It just hums...I checked the fuse, and it had a 5A instead of a 2A...So I am guessing too much current cooked something on the board.

I believe I will try Q19 first in hopes of getting lucky.

If that doesn't take care of it, I will perform all of these same steps as shinychrome0 was directed.

My fingers are crossed.....

tbernard

Ok, I see no obvious marks on the back of the board as with shinychrome0's amp...and the tracks look undamaged.

Time to start from the beginning of this thread. Any info aiming me toward the most obvious failed parts would be appreciated.

Roly

I'm going to leave you to JM 'cos he already has the circuit for this amp, but in the meantime you can make up a limiting lamp as per;

http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=2093.0

...because you are going to need it.

Disconnect the speaker.  Do any components seems to look overheated, browned off (if so, post photo)?

Replace the fuse with one of the correct rating, but do not try to power the amp up again at this stage.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.