Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:08:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Stripboard woes

Started by flester, August 29, 2018, 11:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flester

Probably because of my soldering technique, I keep breaking the conductive strips on stripboard. Do I just need to user better quality stripboard, improve my technique  or move on to something new? I find I can assemble something, it works but by the time I add pots, switches etc. and put it in an enclosure I find I've broken the conductors.

galaxiex

Must be poor quality.

I have soldered/de-soldered on old Japanese circuit boards in cheap 70's "throw away" type amps
and have seldom had an issue with traces lifting or breaking.
They made 'em good.

That said, some old circuit boards will lift and break traces if you look at them wrong.

Modern strip board that lifts/breaks traces that easy, must be poor quality.

I'm not ham-fisted when it comes to soldering, but I'm not all that gentle with soldering either.

What boards are you buying and from where?
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

Loudthud

What kind of solder are you using? No-Lead solder usually has a high melting point. The lowest melting point is 63% tin, 37% lead if you can get it. Soldering irons can vary in temperature. I use a Variac to vary the temperature on mine, but you can use a low cost light dimmer.

flester

Board was from Maplins  who are now out of business. Maybe I am using too much heat, so thanks for the tip on using a light dimmer. The iron is a basic 40w also from Maplins. Also have a Weller one but it needs a new tip.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

flester

Don't think my solder is lead-free but I will check.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk