Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:04:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Noisy cricket enclosure

Started by ipoo2, June 06, 2013, 10:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipoo2

So, I am thinking about making an enclosure with bits I have lying about. U have wood for the frame and will cover with some faux leather material.
For the control panel and base for veroboard, as well as mounting inputs. I was thinkin of using some old DVD player enclosures I have.

What would be a good "around the house" tool to cut them up?? As I need them squared off.

Not sure of material, but it is rather thin metal.

Enzo

Old players and the like will have sheet steel covers.  Stick a magnet on it if you are not sure.

pretty laborious to saw pieces out with a hand tool or even a Dremel.  Metal shears would maybe work, but would curl your edges.  I got no good solution for that.

But maybe consider some other metal enclosure.  Maybe it is too large for an Altoids tin, but there are other candy tins of small size.  And there are rectangular candy or whatever tins like cookie tins but a lot smaller.   You could probably spot something useful in the candy and snacks are of a Target or Kmart or WalMart.   Heck you might even find empty ones in the housewares section.

And if you are not hung up on square, any tin can with press on lid should work.  Like an old paint can lid goes on.

ipoo2

I suppose first I would need to eat the contents - best choose wisely  :)

The design I have in mind would hide the edges so the sheers may work.

Hmmm, should probably check the sweet aisle first though...

Enzo

If ratty edges are no problem, lucky for you.   But for an amplifier, you really ought to completely enclose the electronics in metal for shielding.  It can look crude inside, but you want coverage.

Even regular guitar amps, with their heavy steel chassis, if you look in them, you will usually find the open side of the chassis faces a sheet of metal or a screen, or aluminum foil glued to the cabinet insides.  That completes the shielding.   Or inside your guitar, you often find the walls of the space inside covered in some sort of shielding that is grounded.

Roly

Quote from: ipoo2I suppose first I would need to eat the contents

:cheesy:

That's not actually compulsory (particularly if it happens to be a really cool container and the contents are basically, like, solid sugar, or fat, or a pickled part of an animal you've never even heard of  :-X ).
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

Enzo

And the problem with that?

You have the four basic food groups of a balanced diet:

grease
starch
chocolate
pickles

ipoo2

Really appreciate this nutrition advice  :cheesy:

I suppose a wallpapering of the insides with aluminum foil is the ideal solution for my design.

J M Fahey

Quoteor a pickled part of an animal you've never even heard of  :-X ).
You mean something like this?:

On the left, wild boar; on the right: vizcacha/armadillo/mulita.

The last one, by the way, *must* be eaten in quantity or Indian Guitar players will miss their favorite instrument, the "charango":

And no, I'm not inventing this, listen to this tasty charango player :
http://youtu.be/86XBnkXk3Po

Roly

I don't think wallpapering your insides with anything is going to help if Enzo or JM are doing the cooking.   xP

I have however lined plastic cases with alfoil, then light cardboard as an insulator, to good effect, but it does need to be connected to system ground (the alfoil that is, not the cardboard).

{after midnight here, freezing cold, medvac chopper lands in my front yard to pick up three young teens who had no business driving a car, never mind sideways into a tree.  :( }

J M Fahey

Quote from: Roly on June 07, 2013, 02:19:40 PM
{after midnight here, freezing cold, medvac chopper lands in my front yard to pick up three young teens who had no business driving a car, never mind sideways into a tree.  :( }
Ouch !!!

That said: just curious, what 's "freezing cold" in Australia?

Anything below 68ºF/20ºC?  :lmao:

Roly

+1ºC, slight wind chill taking that down a few degrees (we're on top of the tail end of the Great Dividing Range, alt ~500m, S37.4304 E143.9.  Colder to come before summer, sub-zero and possible occasional light snow falls.

Three teens + car hooning + grog + mdma = 3 broken bodies.  Girl driving, fish-tailing up a rough bush track, zigged when she should have zagged (and her troubles have only just started).  Estimated rescue cost alone $10k+, and about twenty local volunteer fire crew being solid gold as usual.

Vid of some amazing flying; initially came in to "my front yard", a soccer field spanned by high voltage power line, in moonless dark, then taking off gingerly flew backwards on ground effect hover clear of line, then vertically up until clear before "pushing it over".  Helicopters are hard at the best of times and this was simply amazing flying.  +1

Loved the Charango player.  We have a group of buskers here, Peruvians possibly, who play a similar style around Melbourne, sell CD's, (but with guitars, no actual Armadillos); very popular.

J M Fahey

Well, that's cold enough.

Punched S37.4304 E143.9 into Google Maps and it pointed to Horthcott Park .
Close enough?

Looks like a very nice, hilly, wooded place, not the usual landscape associated with Australia.

FWIW, "Canguro Jack" is taken as a typical geographical description, so now you know it  :lmao:

Roly

Spot on.  http://www.creswick.net/

Most of Australia may be pretty arid "back country" but most Aussies have only seen it on TV.  The Eastern seaboard when the vast majority live in cities is otherwise typical farming and grazing land, with most of the hills heavily wooded.

The many species of kangaroo and wallaby range from around a metre to about two and a half meter for a Big Red, with the Eastern Greys around here about 1.75m.  They are pretty timid but have been coming into my garden at night, and will take off if I go outside, but cornered they are formidable and will stand on their tail and kick with very powerful back legs equipped with huge claws.  It hardly ever happens, but if you were to be kicked by a 'roo, as that guy in the movie, you wouldn't be getting up in a hurry and would likely be on your way to hospital with injuries similar to being hit by a car.

Slightly more on-topic, scored some steel baking trays from Aldi's that should make excellent chassis' for valve amp builds.

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on June 07, 2013, 11:19:26 AM
Quoteor a pickled part of an animal you've never even heard of  :-X ).
You mean something like this?:

On the left, wild boar; on the right: vizcacha/armadillo/mulita.

The last one, by the way, *must* be eaten in quantity or Indian Guitar players will miss their favorite instrument, the "charango":

And no, I'm not inventing this, listen to this tasty charango player :
http://youtu.be/86XBnkXk3Po

Juan, you are a wealth of knowledge.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

Thanks, but no big deal here, it's about Argentine food and Music anyway  :cheesy:
JM