Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:20:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Sears Silvertone solid state Bass 35

Started by Ovality, July 30, 2009, 06:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ovality

Hi, I am new to the forum. I can buy this amp but it has been sitting around for a long time and it does not work. It did not have a fuse holder cap, when I found one and put in the correct fuse all it does is make a very loud hum. The tolex has a few small rips but the grill cloth is ok. The original Jensen speaker look allright. I don't know anything about repairing amps and this is not alot of information but app. how much is it worth and is this a good project for me to get into? Any advice or information is appreciated.  :(

joecool85

Well, first thing, welcome to the forum!

Second, have you ever worked with mains electricity?  IE - 120v AC.  If the answer is no, then its up  to you if you want to take the risk.  It can be dangerous working on amps, but it is a very rewarding hobby as well.  If you decide you want to tackle fixing this (or another) amp, I suggest doing a good deal of reading and research first.  Ask questions if you have them, and think about everything thoroughly before jumping into it.

From what you described it could be any number of things keeping that amp from working, maybe if you did some more preliminary testing we might be able to help.  For instance, if you have an instrument plugged in, can you play it over the hum?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com