Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:46:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Motor Boating?

Started by lefizz, October 30, 2007, 06:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lefizz

My amp setup uses a 100 watt class T amp and the TL071 based preamp many people here have help me with.

The issue is this, at high gain setting, i.e. when i want to play loud, the amp ocassionally gets stuck it a sort of weird feedback loop with the Bass driver pumping in and out slowly with no input from the guitar. Is that called motor-boating? Even totally dampening the strings doesnt stop it, the only way to control is it to either turn of the amp or cut the volume right down for a moment.

I was wondering what causes this and what could be done to reduce/eliminate it.

Any feedback(no pun intented!) greatfully recieved.

Phil

LJ King

Motorboating is almost always caused by a low frequency feedback path through the power supply.

Increase the value of the power supply decoupling caps, or replacing old ones that have lost some capacitance usually corrects the problem.

joecool85

Quote from: LJ King on October 30, 2007, 11:32:31 AM
Motorboating is almost always caused by a low frequency feedback path through the power supply.

Increase the value of the power supply decoupling caps, or replacing old ones that have lost some capacitance usually corrects the problem.

I would try replacing the old caps first, electrolytic caps only last for 15-25 years anyway.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com