Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:30:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Carvin sx amp build

Started by smsuryan, December 02, 2023, 09:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tassieviking

I think a pedal is a great way to start, and if you are familiar with schematics then you should also consider trying out a spice program and a PCB making program.
Start simulating the pedals and small amps in a spice program and you will learn to understand what is happening in the circuit you are playing with.
If you start using a PCB program you will learn a lot by just drawing the schematic in the program and then building your own PCB will feel like a big step forward towards making cheap pedals and amp yourself.

I love using KiCad as my program to make up PCB's for myself, it is completely free and have no limits to what you can make up.
KiCad also has a version of a spice program built in, it is fully functioning but I haven't tried it. You might have to import models of parts into it.
It might be a version of NGspice I think.

You can also breadboard many circuits on small vero boards instead of making up PCB's for pedals, often you will find vero layouts for stomp boxes online.

If you want to make an amp then start with a known good sounding simple design and try it on a breadboard first, many people like the little Marshall 12 watt amps and they are very simple to make.
Start with small compact circuits so you don't waste too much money if you make mistakes, and always remember we all have to learn to crawl before we can walk.

For pedals FreeStompboxes is a good place to start, but there are many other great sites out there. https://www.freestompboxes.org
There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.