Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:32:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Building a bass amp?

Started by oleskool, June 12, 2012, 11:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STDog

Quote from: J M Fahey on June 21, 2012, 12:32:39 PM
Nowadays vey little people knows what I'm talking about.
Not usual finding guys with the same kind of experiences I've had, lots of Forums filled with people with *strong* (borrowed) opinions but little to back them with.

I think you would be pleasantly surprised with the public as a whole (not to be confused with those on internet forums).

Forums, especially "music" forums can be very selective. But go to other forums and try the off-topic areas and I think you'll find a different perspective.

The real trick is for the now older generations (I'm only 40 mind you) to ensure the younger generations experience real music and gain an appreciation. And that means taking time out from other activities and going to the symphony, finding a chamber performance, a concert on a real organ, etc. Start them early. Drag them kicking if we must. It will sink in.

I was forced to listen to/ perform a lot of music I didn't like. Then years later I was able to appreciate it. Had I not be forced I don't know that I'd have ever made the leap myself.

Now, where did oleskool run off too?
What are your current plans?
Did you buy that Peavey?

oleskool

I didn't runaway. I have been trying to decide my next moves. I think the speaker part has been decided. When this started I was thinking one of the fearful designs by green boy. As it progressed I am leaning heavily in the direction of Bill Fitzmaurice's jack 12 design. I will not be moving this cabinet around a lot, so I will not try the lighter version of the cabinet with all the bending wood. The Elliott sound (mkll I think ) looks like a good place for me to start with amp builds. I may try something smaller first though haven't made up my mind for sure yet. I did find this interesting, http://www.albertkreuzer.com/preamp.htm#faq but looking at things briefly you will need a o'scope to complete the project. This is my first attempt at building something other than in school. I was quickly in the field repairing copy machines using a foolproof repair manual. ie... place red lead of volt meter on pin 12 place black lead on pin 16 if it doesn't show 24v replace board and bring old board for repair. I will be relying on you guys help if you don't mind. I didn't buy the peavey but it's probably still there.