Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:32:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Hi there, I'm newbie and I desperately need some help...

Started by ninoars, January 20, 2010, 09:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninoars

First of all, hi to everyone  :)

Something happened to my amp and i need some help. I was playing my guitar yesterday on my Ibanez gta10 amp which comes with the ibanez grx70 jumpstart pack.
I bought a new guitar cable a few weeks ago and it was great. While I was playing, the sound just suddenly went off and all i can hear is a bit of a noise when i turn the gain up. The on/off light is still working, so i concluded that the fuse was not the problem. I think it's a solid state amp, since it has no tubes in it so can anyone guide me and tell me a few tips? i tried with another guitar cable and the amp remained dead. The cable is deffinately not the problem, but could  the problem be the speaker(it produces some noise if i turn the gain up). Can someone help me? :(
I tried plugging it in another place, but that still didn't fix it.  Thanks in advance  ;)

joecool85

Quote from: ninoars on January 20, 2010, 09:05:21 AM
First of all, hi to everyone  :)

Something happened to my amp and i need some help. I was playing my guitar yesterday on my Ibanez gta10 amp which comes with the ibanez grx70 jumpstart pack.
I bought a new guitar cable a few weeks ago and it was great. While I was playing, the sound just suddenly went off and all i can hear is a bit of a noise when i turn the gain up. The on/off light is still working, so i concluded that the fuse was not the problem. I think it's a solid state amp, since it has no tubes in it so can anyone guide me and tell me a few tips? i tried with another guitar cable and the amp remained dead. The cable is deffinately not the problem, but could  the problem be the speaker(it produces some noise if i turn the gain up). Can someone help me? :(
I tried plugging it in another place, but that still didn't fix it.  Thanks in advance  ;)

From what you've told us it sounds like maybe your input jack crapped out on you.  What happens if you try to wiggle the cord at the jack while plugged in, amp on?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

ninoars

Hmm, just tried that, but nothing happens...it still remains the same  :-\

Enzo

Whatever this is, it is going to require soldering on the circuit board inside the amp.  Are you up to that?

Probably not, which means a technician is needed.   And that gets expensive for a small amp.  You need to find a friendly local electronics guy willing to help you in exchange for a bottle of beer or something.  Figuring out what is wrong should not be difficult for anyone who is familiar with circuitry.

If you are near Lansing Michigan USA, I would be happy to look at it for you.

ninoars

Well, my uncle is an excellent electronics man,working with amps, tvs for over thirty years, we checked the amp inside and everything's OK. I took the guitar to the shop I had bought it from and tested it on one of their amps...There was no sound coming out again. So the problem is the guitar...A magnet or something in the guitar el. circuit. So thank you very much for giving me the tips and i really appreciate that :)
Wish me luck, I'm taking my guitar to a tehnician tomorrow and let's hope it all comes out fine :)
Here in Macedonia the conditions of owning an instrument are terribile...no regular services, having the warranty document is useless because they send the product back to the vendor they bought it from which is in Germany or Slovenia and thats more than a thousand KM so thanks again and I'll report the repair results back here :)

Enzo