Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 12:57:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

First amp project problems :(

Started by Katier, February 04, 2014, 08:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katier

Had a go at building the Ruby http://www.runoffgroove.com/ruby.html and she doesn't want to work..

In the absence of anything more than a volt meter I guess I'm stuffed when it comes to fault finding?

Roly

You can actually do a lot with a multimeter, well ... enough, anyway, the rest is done in your head.

What voltage is is on the battery, the supply rails on the build, actual pins 4 and 6 on the actual chip?

What is the voltage on pin 5?

What is the voltage across the 3k9 in the FET Source?

In the meantime use a screwdriver or scriber to make sure all solder joints are connected only where they should.  Forget to cut a track, put in a link?
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

joecool85

When you say it doesn't work, what is it doing?  Nothing at all?  Low volume?  Weird noises?  Chip getting hot?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Katier

yey she works!!!

I think I was driving too much power into her off the PC when testing.. lowered the input volume (as the input voltage was significantly higher than a suggested guitar voltage) and she worked straight away.

Usable volume although does really need fully turning up with the hifi speaker I'm using.

Katier

Quote from: joecool85 on February 04, 2014, 12:33:53 PM
When you say it doesn't work, what is it doing?  Nothing at all?  Low volume?  Weird noises?  Chip getting hot?

She is a bit crackly but I think that's just noise from when I touch the case of the pots to adjust them ( for instance ) - is it worth/good idea to ground the pot cans to earth?

Roly

Quote from: Katieris it worth/good idea to ground the pot cans to earth?

Yes.  These are normally grounded somehow in almost all equipment.

Get it mounted in a case of some sort, biscuit tin, diecast hobby box...
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

Katier

I'm mounting it all inside an old hi-fi speaker now it's working. I know hi-fi speakers aren't ideal but for this little project should work fine. I'll solder wire to the pot cans and then to the zero volt rail.

She's running off a 12V transformer feed btw, I have loads of transformers so easier than messing with batteries!! :)