Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:41:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Piezo Preamp

Started by tonyharker, October 29, 2020, 05:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonyharker

Has anyone tried to use one of those Piezo preamps sold for ukuleles like this on Ali Express https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33048124904.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.5e793c00tS3Zyw&mp=1 on a magnetic pickup?

phatt

Just be aware that most piezo preamps often come with high Freq compensation as piezo elements work all the way past audio freq. Without that in place acoustic guitar can sound really cheap. Scratchy sound,, yuk

As to mag PU it's anyone's guess as to the outcome,,I'd say suck it and see what happens.
Keep us posted if you try it :tu:
Phil.

GBarry

New here, btw.  hi, everyone!
  I personally haven't used THAT preamp...but my experience is very detailed and lengthy with playing an acousticl loudly thru a P.A.
I play professionally for many years.    In my experience, no Piezo captures an acoustic signal accurately.  They tend to emphasize the high frequencies from 1k-10k....so tiny. "honky", plasticy..are adjectives that are often heard.
    At similar cost..I would consider a contact microphone,instead.  Like the ones used on telephones.  Cheap, and once equalized ,more likely to sound authentic.  But hey, all the technology is cheap..so experiement.
      George

phatt

Hi George and welcome.  :)
I do agree that ceramic pu and associated preamp designs for acoustic guitar is a hit and miss affair.
Any novice buying new will struggle as there are just so many differing designs used.
There is no standard when it comes to Freq Response and output levels, Some Active piezo systems have insane output levels and are the most likely to squeal or blast out subsonic feedback. xP
Sadly a lot of guitar factories just wack in whatever they can source and never bother to do any R&D as long as they pass signal they go out to retail shops.
Even some expensive systems do sound way too harsh.

As to contact systems, What exactly are you referring to when you say Contact Microphone from telephone?
The ones I've dealt with tend to have feedback issues.
I'm always open to new ideas.

As to preamp design for piezo PU's this might interest you and others who wish to experiment.
https://sound-au.com/project202.htm
Regards, Phil.