Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:43:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Bright, extended & slightly mid scooped speakers for EP amp setup

Started by SwamiRob, July 29, 2020, 12:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwamiRob

Looking for some guitar speakers with a bit of a mid scoop, definitely around the 400-500hz range where electric piano has a fair amount of mud, and a nice extended treble without too much upper mid harshness. Want something that's not too fizzy with overdrive, but considering a pedal with a clean blend so can keep the overdrive in the midrange with clean top & bottom end for better clarity, so hopefully extended highs for clean tone won't translate into fizz for overdrive! The most promising things I've seen are in the Jensen Jet range, as alot of them have that dip in the lower mid-midrange, and they also have a good power handling for my 200w LabSeries L11. Anyone got any good suggestions?

Enzo

Guitar speakers naturally roll off the highs, and I wouldn't think of them for piano, at least not as a first choice.   I would think a search of PA speakers might do better.  And if you are using a guitar AMP to drive the speaker, then double no.  A small PA system, and so many now include EQ, which provides any mid-scoop you might want.

SwamiRob

Sorry should have been a little clearer, this is for a Rhodes/Wurli style electromagnetic piano. After something that is bright relatively speaking for guitar drivers, I'm well aware there's not gonna be any 10k coming out of them in any meaningful amount, and wouldn't want it either, especially not with a load of overdrive going on!