Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:23:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Newb here. I want to build an amp

Started by kikback007, May 10, 2020, 09:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kikback007

I want a preamp that is clean and pedal friendly for pedal testing purposes. And a tda2030 power amp with cd/aux input and emulated headphone out. I can read schematics but making it a pcb layout is hard to me. Can anybody help me.  :)

joecool85

Quote from: kikback007 on May 10, 2020, 09:21:35 AM
I want a preamp that is clean and pedal friendly for pedal testing purposes. And a tda2030 power amp with cd/aux input and emulated headphone out. I can read schematics but making it a pcb layout is hard to me. Can anybody help me.  :)

If you are planning on doing an actual PCB, I recommend doing the layout in KiCad.  It's open source, easy to use, and works super well.  Plus some vendors like OSHPark accept KiCad files natively.  If you want/need others, you can always output Gerbers.

Here is a set of videos I used when I was learning KiCad, they worked great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaCVh2SAZY4&list=PL3bNyZYHcRSUhUXUt51W6nKvxx2ORvUQB&index=1

I should note, not everything is 100% the same in the software since the video is 2 years old (some buttons have moved) but, it's close.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

kikback007

Thanks for recommending Kicad. Ill try it. Do you have idea what preamp and poweramp should i do?

Jazz P Bass

There are a ton of prebuilt low power amps on E bay.
Search TDA2030 amplifier.

Keep in mind that the TDA2030 has been out of manufacture for a number of years.
The items currently on the market are knockoffs.

kikback007

So what chipamps are good nowadays?

Enzo

Good?  One that works and is available.   The TDA series is largely no longer available.  LM11875 is a drop in equivalent.  LM3886 are reliable and cheap.

joecool85

Quote from: kikback007 on May 11, 2020, 04:14:00 PM
So what chipamps are good nowadays?

Depends how big you want to go.  LM1875 is perfect for a small, but gig ready, practice amp (20-30w).  LM3886 is bigger (50-60w) and would work fine for most all gigging situations, but really overkill for at home.  Honestly I've been going the low wattage route lately as all of my playing is at home and I've found that 1/2w to 5w is the ideal for me.  More than that and I've got the amp turned just about all the way down so as not to bother the family.  You could check out the TDA7266M.  Maximum of 14watts at 18v supply.  12v supply will give about 7 watts.  This is plenty for practice and when wound up, it's going to be VERY loud still - especially with a good guitar speaker.

There are also class D amps, but these get a little more complicated in layout and design.
thatraymond.com

kikback007

Im done with the power amp section i bought a pbtl module for $3 it is a tda7293 100w module. Now im looking for a marshall sounding preamp. Ive been thinking of combining 3 circuits which is a Crunchbox, baxandall eq and cabsim. What do you all think?

joecool85

Quote from: kikback007 on May 13, 2020, 05:33:45 AM
Im done with the power amp section i bought a pbtl module for $3 it is a tda7293 100w module. Now im looking for a marshall sounding preamp. Ive been thinking of combining 3 circuits which is a Crunchbox, baxandall eq and cabsim. What do you all think?

Any reason for the cabsim?  Unless you are sending to headphones or direct out, I don't see the purpose.
thatraymond.com

kikback007