Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:08:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Centre Negative DC Jack

Started by flester, July 02, 2018, 09:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flester

I've been trying to work this out for myself but it's beaten me.

I have a few small amps which can run off a 9v battery, or a wall wart via a DC jack (which disconnects the battery). I want to change the DC jacks to be 'negative centre' so match my pedals so I can run the amp and pedals from the same supply. Any suggestions for wiring this?

Jazz P Bass

How about some info on the pedals?

Basically, you are looking at redesigning the power in jack.

flester

Pedals are Behringer delay, Behringer tremolo pan,  Danelectro Fab Overdrive, Mooer Shimverb.  Pedals all have centre negative jacks and use 9v. I know I need to reverse the leads from jack to board to use the external ps but not sure how to connect the internal battery.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

nosaj

Would it not be possible to make an adapter that crosses or flips th polarity?

I think I have made these before for other projects.

nosaj

galaxiex

If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

nosaj

I would too but it's a hella lot easier than redesigning a pedal.

nosaj

flester

OK I think I've got it. Basically I need to reverse the polarity of all the leads connected to the DC jack.
https://goo.gl/images/awuayZ

Just to clarify, I will keep the pedals centre negative and convert my amps to be the same. That way all my pedals and battery amps can be powered by an effects power supply. Might also add diodes to the amps for reverse protection.

phatt

If???? ALL the amplifiers are battery powered ONLY,,
then yes it's simple to swap 2 wires inside the amp.

BUT!!!! :trouble :trouble

Most battery Amps come with the option of mains power as well as internal battery and some come with the 3rd option of wall wart power. The wiring system could be complicated for the novice.

Without circuits and specs for the Amp/Amps you are trying to power this is all guesswork.

I strongly advise the reverse polarity option cable mentioned by *Nosaj*.
And as *Galaxiex* mentioned Clearly marked as Reversed Polarity.

Your other problem is you will need a power supply that can deliver enough current to power the amp as well as all the pedals. :-X
Phil.

flester

They are amps I built myself with 9v battery or wall wart options. I believe I just need to change the wiring from centre pos to centre neg as shown in picture. I take the point about current requirements though. One of the amps uses an lm386 which which may not need much but another uses a Kemo 12w module so it may not work for that one.

flester

This one draws 0.5A https://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=9181

And this one 0.8A
https://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/Light-Sound/Amplifier-Splitter/Modules/M032N-Amplifier-12-W-universal.php

I thought maybe the LM386 could go in my pedal board/box as it is pedal sized and plugs into an external speaker

flester

Heres what I came up with. The bundle of 6x AA rechargeables to the right of the pedal box has a centre -ve  lead supplying pedals, and a centre +ve  supplying the amp in the fudge tin. The Orange is my cab.  I guess I need reverse polarity protection for the amp and maybe the pedals. Can I use an LED for that or do I need another type of diode? I know battery life may be an issue but may be a proper FX power supply mat work better?

flester

Quote from: flester on August 14, 2018, 03:46:09 PM
Heres what I came up with. The bundle of 6x AA rechargeables to the right of the pedal box has a centre -ve  lead supplying pedals, and a centre +ve  supplying the amp in the fudge tin. The Orange is my cab.  I guess I need reverse polarity protection for the amp and maybe the pedals. Can I use an LED for that or do I need another type of diode? I know battery life may be an issue but may be a proper FX power supply mat work better?

No problem with the battery life over the last few weeks. Better than rechargeable PP3's.

phatt

Quote from: flester on September 21, 2018, 05:59:13 AM
Can I use an LED for that or do I need another type of diode? I know battery life may be an issue but may be a proper FX power supply mat work better?

No, you need a diode. 1N4004 or similar.
Yes, a wall wart would be more economical.
Phil.