Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:00:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Switch box for SS amp - different speaker cabs?

Started by gui_tarzan, June 10, 2023, 09:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gui_tarzan

I have a solid state guitar amp that I'd like to use different speaker cabs on to experiment with like you can do at a store with those switch racks. I did a quick search to see if there was a DIY option here but didn't see one. When I was a kid I would just put a bunch of jacks on a rotary switch (with radios) but after several decades of tube amp repair experience I know better. However, not having been immersed in the SS world I don't know the best way to handle this.

Any ideas?

joecool85

Quote from: gui_tarzan on June 10, 2023, 09:36:13 AMI have a solid state guitar amp that I'd like to use different speaker cabs on to experiment with like you can do at a store with those switch racks. I did a quick search to see if there was a DIY option here but didn't see one. When I was a kid I would just put a bunch of jacks on a rotary switch (with radios) but after several decades of tube amp repair experience I know better. However, not having been immersed in the SS world I don't know the best way to handle this.

Any ideas?

Honestly, solid state amps don't care if there is a load or not, so it's plenty safe to switch using spdt switches etc as long as they are rated for the current.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

gui_tarzan

g1

Are you wanting to switch 'on the fly'?
Then you might be concerned about whether the switch is 'make before break' or 'break before make'.
A 'make before break' type switch might allow parallel speaker combinations during switchover, which could allow too low a load impedance, or trigger protection circuits.

Other than that I don't see any issues, like joecool85 said above, solid-state amps are fine when there is no load.