Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:48:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Sourcing 1980's Yamaha G100 replacement pots

Started by gastric, April 11, 2023, 01:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gastric

Quote from: Tassieviking on April 18, 2023, 10:13:36 AMI would be 99% sure that the pots are standard 16mm with 5mm leg spacing...

You are correct. I replaced the factory pot with an Alpha 16mm diameter 5mm spaced 25k short pot and it fit perfectly, no issues. Purchased here: https://www.mojotone.com/25KB-16MM-Short-6-5mm-Split-Shaft-PC-Mount-Potentiometer

The push-pull pot was going to be a PITA to source from what I could tell. Too many spacing issues, 25k isn't common in a push-pull, etc. I just epoxied half of the shaft from the busted post I replaced above and now the knob fits fine, doesn't fall off when pulling it, cost $0, and a lot less effort overall. Sometimes the simple solutions are the best.

Thanks to everyone for entertaining my questions and poor ability to measure 4mm vs 5mm leg spacing with my cheap digital calipers.

My general review of these series-II amps are they're really nice. Very dynamic compared to some other solid state amps like a Peavey Bandit. Reverb that's nearly on par with Fender tube driven surfy reverb. Seemingly easy to work on with lots of space in the chassis.

For shoegazey tones I still prefer the Roland JC-120 as the tonal curve in that amp just has a really revealing top end that lets you hear all of the details in chorded passages even with fuzz. The Yamaha is a little darker and more obscured in that specific regard even when trying to tweak it with EQ. But otherwise, my ears generally prefer the Yahama, and it was vastly superior reverb than the dinky little tank the JC-120 has. My back definitely prefers the G50-112 and it's definitely more appropriate for bedroom use.