Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Crate G20C Stereo Guitar Amp

Started by ErichS, November 08, 2009, 12:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErichS

Here is the schematic for an old Crate amp I've been working on.  It is 2x10 watt output into two 6 inch speakers.  The clean channel has a very nice sound.  I think I paid about $250 in 1987, now they sell on the web for ~$20.

J M Fahey

Dear Erich S , thanks a lot .
These schematics help a lot.
Every tubed gizmo appears on the net; 99% of SS amps, don't, which is bad, because they are everywhere and provide great value.
U$S 20??? Incredible !!
And a 4W , 6" spk Champ, gets U$S 500??  :duh
Your amp, driving a couple 8" or 10" , 4 ohm guitar speakers such as those excellent and inexpensive Jensens is good enough for a Jam at a local Club, sort of a mini JC120.
Personally, I'd buy and transfer them to some larger cabinet with said speakers *or* I'd use it as a ready-made preamp, driving 2xLM3886 power amps and a couple 12", in a Twin sized cabinet.
That will definitely move some air with very high quality sound.
Thanks for sharing the schematics.
Juan Manuel Fahey

ErichS

Quote from: J M Fahey on November 08, 2009, 09:43:19 PM
Dear Erich S , thanks a lot .
These schematics help a lot.
Every tubed gizmo appears on the net; 99% of SS amps, don't, which is bad, because they are everywhere and provide great value.
U$S 20??? Incredible !!
And a 4W , 6" spk Champ, gets U$S 500??  :duh
Your amp, driving a couple 8" or 10" , 4 ohm guitar speakers such as those excellent and inexpensive Jensens is good enough for a Jam at a local Club, sort of a mini JC120.
Personally, I'd buy and transfer them to some larger cabinet with said speakers *or* I'd use it as a ready-made preamp, driving 2xLM3886 power amps and a couple 12", in a Twin sized cabinet.
That will definitely move some air with very high quality sound.
Thanks for sharing the schematics.
Juan Manuel Fahey

Juan,

That's a good idea about the speakers, I might give that a try.

For anyone looking for Crate schematics, I got that one by e-mailing Loud Technologies at misupport@loudtechinc.com.
They emailed me back PDFs of the schematic and the layout within a few days at no charge!

Brymus

Thanxs Eric I threw you a chip point for that!
The old data at SLM is no longer and no link for schematics.
The people here have been kind enough to send me schematics for most of my old Crate stuff,but I will e-mail them and see what they send.
I love Crates they are cheap and everywhere the way VWs used to be.

ErichS

Quote from: Brymus on November 14, 2009, 06:42:26 PM
Thanxs Eric I threw you a chip point for that!
The old data at SLM is no longer and no link for schematics.
The people here have been kind enough to send me schematics for most of my old Crate stuff,but I will e-mail them and see what they send.
I love Crates they are cheap and everywhere the way VWs used to be.

It is worth a shot. I was very surprised when the schematic showed up.  I mentioned in another post that this amp has been a learning project for me as I'm fairly new to solid state electronics.  It sat in my closet for the past 10 years or so since it wasn't working right, so I decided it would not be a loss if I messed it up.  So far I've gotten it working pretty well again. I never could have gotten this far without the schematic.

Thanks for the chip point!

Erich

tabootam

I am new and not yet with a full understanding of how to do this. Thx for understanding. How can I get schematics for a Crate G20C stereo guitar amp? I would appreciate any help you can give me.

phatt

I'm getting Decode error when trying to open the files? ???

Any clues?

Phil.

joecool85

Quote from: phatt on October 24, 2011, 04:10:41 AM

I'm getting Decode error when trying to open the files? ???

Any clues?

Phil.

It looks like those files got corrupted during the server move a couple years ago.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

szklemen

Don't interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Napoleon

ErichS

joecool85

Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

szklemen

Don't interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Napoleon