Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:33:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Speaker Pop When Switching to or from Standby on a Peavey Classic 50

Started by awdman, October 24, 2009, 05:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awdman

I am working on a Peavey Classic 50 and need to know if it is normal for a tube amp to have a speaker POP when coming in or going out of standby with the volume up to about 4? Is there a capacitor I could add to eliminate this?

Thanks,
Anthony

J M Fahey

Does it pop when volume/tone/master/reverb are off (*all* pots in "0")?

awdman

No if I turn the volume down it does not pop, it does not matter where the reverb is and will do it on clean, or dirty channel. The Classic 50 has a Bypass where you could enter your own effects which bypass all tone controls and  volume. there it does not pop when I do this. Also with everything set at zero except the main volume it still pops.
I could possibly do a sould byte of this.

Anthony

J M Fahey

Then you don't have a problem, it's normal.
Non-standby tube amps don't pop because they have a "slow turn-on" built-in, the heater delay of about 30 seconds, but you are pre-heating it and turning it on "suddenly", which is all right.
Most SS amps pop or thump, because they are instant-on, so new chipamps often have some delay built in.
In a nutshell: don't worry, just turn your amp on and off with volume down.

Steve Dalllman

In Fender amps, when the switch gets dirty, the pop gets loud. Cleaning does not help.

The fix in a Fender (and I'm assuming the PV is similar) is to replace the switch, and then solder a cap across the switch. .01uf is fine, at least 630v (1k or 2kv even better).

Enzo

A cap might help, might not.  As Juan said, it really is not a problem.  Many many amps pop, and it hurts nothing.  It is not a sign of impending amp failure.

The momentary spike when the switch opens is being picked up by the preamp, and amplified by the circuit as the powr fades away