Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:20:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

sorry for another question about tube vs transistor

Started by rodriki1, May 28, 2010, 01:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodriki1

thanks all for the attention given here.

J M Fahey suggested the listening of pritchard amp, so i did that.
i gave a closer "look" (hear) at sword of satori.
really amazing job. i passed the eye over all his patents but never stopped
to really enjoy the sound of it.
so we can think that he is close enough?? i found that in my humble
opinion he sound like better than many tube amps.
Like someone said one idealized tube amp.

What makes me impressed is that VOCAL CHARACTER OF SOUND
AND THE WIND NOISE "INDIDE" THE SOUND OF GUITAR.
I know there is some sort of filtering after and before like
i have discussed a lot with "phatt".
I can not understand yet, what makes the guitar "scream".
Besides the skill of the player...
Would be sag with bias shifting???
I will keep researching. As you said pritchard is still a
mistery too!

thanks

Jack1962

yea I listened to that pritchard amp sample as well , it does sound good the PRS don't hurt the tone either lol lol lol , along with the ability to play lol lol lol
Like I have said before I have heard good sound amps both tube and SS , however this amp does sound really good , I don't know maybe it's just me but it sounds alot like a Lab Series  amp to me.

Rock On

J M Fahey

Well, me too. I think *the* reference in good "somewhat tubey" SS sounds is the Lab series.
Roland and Yamahas (and Polytones in a very narrow "niche") are excellent "clean-only" amps, and Randalls good "very-dirty-only" amps, but the in-between Twin/Super Reverb sounds are very difficult to get in a convincing way, specially because today few guitar players want them (almost everybody wants buzz-saw and/or chest thumping sounds, even from tube amps), and those who do, already have a Twin/Dumble/etc. amp.
Statistically most people are happy with their SS Peaveys, Fenders, Valvestates or Crates, because they do not know otherwise and, besides, you *can* play with them, even in the current state of development.
And buzzy/dry SS distortion is not that different from buzzy/dry Tube preamp distortion; not everybody can play his tube amp on "7" all day long.
And if you need to stick an SS distortion pedal  up front "to warm up the sound", we are all back on square one.

Jack1962

I agree JM , I went to a club last weekend , there was a band playing this new heavy metal, 1 was playing a Mesa Triple Recto the other was playing a Randall SS , to be honest with there setup I couldn't really tell much difference in there tone lol lol lol

Rock On

P.S. that's a terrible thing to do to a Triple Recto lol lol lol