Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 10:20:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

What Brand of Speakers are These?

Started by Percheron, March 29, 2011, 12:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percheron

Hi All,

I'm a new forum member, and I'm look to see if anyone can identify what brand of speakers these are.

I bought an old Randall fully enclosed 2x10 speaker cabinet for my Ampeg SS70C and these were what it came with.  I think it's safe to say they are not stock.

They of course look like they are Hartke, but you would think they would have a name on them? The ohm rating and SN are the only markings.  Anyway, the sound pretty good, but do not seem to have the same volume of sound as what are in the Ampeg.  I replaced the stock Ampeg 10 inch 8ohm speakers with Jensens' Mod 50.  They sound much better than the 20 year old stockers that were in it.

So, what do you think?

Thanks!

-Derek

J M Fahey

They are not original.
They are normal *audio/Hi Fi* woofers, not bad for that task but unsuitable for guitar.
May work for bass, although lacking efficiency, and easy to drown by the drummer or other amps.
The cone definitely is not paper, may be aluminum or plastic (polypropylene), you tell me.
The cone eyelets are insulated by cardboard disks; if aluminum to afoid shorts and if plastic to avoid melting it when soldering.
They are made in Taiwan, they are the generic cheap speaker found in mail order shops; the Randall originals were their house brand "Jaguar", OEM made by Eminence and very good for guitar.

Percheron

Quote from: J M Fahey on March 29, 2011, 12:42:59 AM
They are not original.
They are normal *audio/Hi Fi* woofers, not bad for that task but unsuitable for guitar.
May work for bass, although lacking efficiency, and easy to drown by the drummer or other amps.
The cone definitely is not paper, may be aluminum or plastic (polypropylene), you tell me.
The cone eyelets are insulated by cardboard disks; if aluminum to afoid shorts and if plastic to avoid melting it when soldering.
They are made in Taiwan, they are the generic cheap speaker found in mail order shops; the Randall originals were their house brand "Jaguar", OEM made by Eminence and very good for guitar.

Thanks!  That confirms my suspicions.  The cones appear to be aluminum. I put the stock Ampeg speakers in the box, Eminence I think, and it sounds way better. 

I appreciate your quick reply!

-Derek