Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 04:57:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

New guy from Texas.

Started by PoorOtis, April 08, 2013, 08:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorOtis

I hope to learn about SS amps here..I've been a tube nut for a long time..either Fender or Ampeg..both good brands and worked well for me ..but Always weighed a Ton! I sold off most of my equipment some time back to pay medical bills,and in November of last year discovered that I still had one old electric guitar stuck in the back of a closet that I forgot about..cleaned it off,put on new strings,lemon oiled it up..still plays good for a 25 year old guitar..only one problem..No Amp! I did not realize who much I missed playing guitar..since I found it,I play daily! The end if December the MRS. brought home a Marshall SS MG30CFX amp..seems like a good practice amp
to me..but I have heard from others thats its a poor SS amp..at best!!..?? Heck..I have not been in a music store in 20 years,and I'm out of touch with technoligy...thats why I'm here..to learn!
Respects.

Roly

Welcome!

You're certainly not the only valve nut here; I run this site but I try to be impartial, running a valve amp for guitar and a solid state one for keyboards (so I catch it from both directions  ;) ).

Okay, you've "heard from others", but what do you hear from your new amp?  Are you satisfied with how it sounds?  Are you getting pleasure from playing with it?  Or does it have obvious shortcomings that grind your gears?  Don't give a flying fedora about what other people say, 90 percent of it is fashion-driven codswallop anyway - trust your ears.  :tu:
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

PoorOtis

Thanks for the feedback! Its also good to hear from some whos the same age! The Amp fits me just fine..not going out playing gigs anymore..just having fun with it at the house..and for that purpose the Lil Marshall does just fine! I never realiized how much I missed playing guitar..I'm glad that I'm playing again!
Respects.