Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:01:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Switch pop blues

Started by Bajaguy, May 24, 2013, 12:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roly

...and in scanning your other post I first read it as "...surrounded by Mexicans..." and had a mental image of you being hijacked by a mariachi band ... {and if you think that's bad you should have seen me when I was still on drugs...  :duh }

So yougottalota nerv for a man surrounded by Mexicans - you can't argue with mariachi.   :P

We're having a Federal election in Sept and I think I'll be coming over to pay you an extended visit.   :(
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

phatt

From the back row of novice on lookers,, can I interrupt the banter for a mo. 8|

Yeah I did once realize that with simple switching of Cap coupled circuits an over sized value of Cap can/did indeed make a much larger pop. even with bleed resistors some of my directly switched circuits where poping.
Smaller caps made a big improvement. A very notable difference in some circuits. Not sure why so but just thought I'd mention it before the plot thickened ;)
Phil

Roly

er ... um ... you're a little previous (as Arfa would say); we haven't actually got around to the signal path yet, we're assuming it is being correctly charged/discharged by the tie down resistors; the cap in question is the snubber across the relay coil (which isn't yet certain to be the source of the problem - Mexicans or no Mexicans).   :blank:

Bajaguy

I'm hoping to get at it tonight and break it down. We have been on forced 4 day weeks for the last month due to our wonderful economy and sometimes the 3 days off falls just when I need to get in the shop and work on something :grr

I'll report back when I get it broke down and know more!

Baja

Roly

Doncha remember the "paperless office", and how we would all be scooting around in hover cars like the Jetsons and only working a one day week and have this problem of how to spend all our free time?

I've been retired for the past few years and I keep saying "I need to find a job again so I can have some time off".  I laid that one on the manager of the local community radio station this afternoon and she doubled up in laughter, saying that since she had retired she had needed to get really strict about personal time management so she had a whole day to spend with the grandkids.

The first and most obvious thing we think of when we are cut back or made redundant is how we are going to pay the bills, but what turns out to be just as important is that what we "do", our occupation, defines who we are and where we fit in to society, and when that is reduced or removed it can have a very powerful personal effect on our self-image.  Due to a mid-life calamity I started volunteering my technical skills to various charities and community groups, and helping people out helped me put my life back together.

Bajaguy

That's way cool Roly. I volunteer for alot of the youth hunting events around here, no matter if it's something I do well or not. I always remeber my Grandad taking me out when I was little, and it was never about what you killed, but about the act of going. Some of my fondest memories were packing through the woods with a gun and my Dad (even though he secretly hated hunting), and the comraderie that came with it. It always feels great when you see a kid light up telling someone a story about thier first hunt.

Baja

Enzo

We can fiddle with the coil circuit, but my money is still on the signal path.