Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Can we imitate marshall??

Started by yatinejkc, February 22, 2007, 12:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yatinejkc

I  have been listening to a friend playing with a marshall amp, and i was delighted by the warm sound you can get out of it,   8)
he says to me that its due to the valve technology. Since i am doing my 100w amplifier, i
wanted to get this (old but cool) technology on my amplifier. i was thinking, it is the pre-amp that shapes and give the tones to the amplifier, so,
could i use a valve preamp and a conventional amp(2 LM3886) or on the contrary use an opamp preamp with valve amp
or use the two(amp & preamp) with valve.

I thought of making a simple valve preamp that would use 2 or 3 valve but i personally wont use
a valve amp or the both with valve because the valve technology is such a pain as compared to
new LMxxxx or TDAxxxx that give a very good sound quality with high fidelity and are insanely easy to use.

I have been studying schematic preamps from trademarks(gibson,marshall,ibaney,ricken.)  that i got
on www.freeinfosociety.com and am thinking of making one of these. As im not an electronic master,
i am getting trouble choosing which preamp would be good.

Do you have any suggestion for a good schematic of a good quality preamp(good means to me, no hum or feedback, high fidelity)
with the basic tone control(treb, bass, mid) Wether it uses the opamp or tube technology.

Im looking for simple one(not extraordinarily elaborate like my marshal schematics,lol bkoz im a 17year student) with good knowledge of electronics
for my age.

Hope ya can help me, bkoz i got tons of schematics but dont know which one is the good to choose. Hope ya have one of the schematics that
would make me feel as if it is a marshall(ya, i kno, its impossible to imitate the marshall). but lets try...   :trouble

joecool85

Well, I don't have any schematics for you, but a tube preamp would definetly give good tone if done properly.  This has been done on many, many guitar amps with pretty good success.  The sound won't be identical to a tube amp, but definetly similar.  This is due to part of the tube amp's sound comes from the tube poweramp not just the preamp as on SS amps.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

yatinejkc

Ok, so do ya think that tubes can give superior sound to that of ss or can new ss preamp be as good as the tube ones.

Ive got Rickenbacker. Gibson, Marshall(which are painfully elaborate),mesa boogie, and ampeg schematics. Which would give me best satisfaction? im playin hardrock music. sometimes clear sound or sometimes heavily overdriven & distorted effects.

joecool85

It all depends on the tone you want.  I personally have found that many ss amps have covered my needs, so I haven't pursued doing a tube setup.  Ideally you should build a ss power amp, then build a ss preamp and a tube preamp, you could swap them out as needed.
thatraymond.com

Conguito

If you want a really Marshall Amp and if you know how to work with a schematic, in Dreamtone you have all the schematics to make your own JCM800 50Watt Amp (Pre and Power Amp with tubes) I know here in Spain two guys who have made it and it's incredible how it sounds........
Salu2.

yatinejkc

Hey, that sounds kool the dreamtone! thanks man! I m going to see if im going to do this.

If it sounds great, and it is given with a lot of details, you've given me a collosal help, i have been searching for such sites on Google hopelessly. if you have some more, i would appreciate that, but this is already very very good. 

Thanks a lot guy

iTzALLgoOD

Try AX84.com.  If you look at the CORE AMP section you'll find 3-4 good tube preamps to suit different needs.  All have good documentation and most have layouts

disto

hey
ive never built a guitar amp but ive done a few pedals, this site might help in create 'the marshall sound' http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/ampbasic.htm
i havent fully read it but i stubled on it a while ago and i knew there was a bit about the marshall tone! you could use some carefull tone/filtering to get the same frequency response as the marshall.for example a boost at about 100Hz and a cut at about 800Hz ish. its just an idea.

as for which marshall to model it on, again im not an expert but the amps i always hear about are the 1970s and the Jcm 800 or 900s try looking at those!

teemuk

And let's not forget the effect of speakers and their cabinet. ;)

joecool85

Quote from: teemuk on July 22, 2007, 07:33:29 AM
And let's not forget the effect of speakers and their cabinet. ;)

Bingo, this is hugely important.  I have been playing my Dean Markley K-20X through a 10" Dean Markley cab the last year or two as opposed to using the built in 8" speaker.  It sounds like a completely different animal.
thatraymond.com