Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 05:32:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

What happened to Crate?

Started by GLUGSTER, January 14, 2009, 10:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GLUGSTER

Love 'em or hate 'em, Crate is one probably one of the most  controversial names in amplification. I have heard rumors that SLM is planning on discontinuing the brand, and I've also read that Raven amps are really the new Crate. What is really going on? Does anyone know?

J M Fahey

As far as I know, SLM was sold a couple of years ago to LOUD Technologies , including Crate and Ampeg trademarks. They closed their almost 200 employee plant in USA (keeping only some administrative and technical personnel) and set up factory in Viet Nam, currently cheaper than China. *Maybe* they perceive Crate as a "lesser" brand, which I regret. Their products are good, innovative, and , under the skin, the same as modern so called "Ampegs". If somebody has fresher news than mine , please post them.

GLUGSTER

Quote from: J M Fahey on January 15, 2009, 12:57:14 PM
As far as I know, SLM was sold a couple of years ago to LOUD Technologies , including Crate and Ampeg trademarks. They closed their almost 200 employee plant in USA (keeping only some administrative and technical personnel) and set up factory in Viet Nam, currently cheaper than China. *Maybe* they perceive Crate as a "lesser" brand, which I regret. Their products are good, innovative, and , under the skin, the same as modern so called "Ampegs". If somebody has fresher news than mine , please post them.

This is congruent to what I have heard, except there doesn't really seem to be any new models for awhile, and GC/MF seems to be blowing out their entire inventory. I like Crate, and like Eminence, I feel their tone and general build quality has improved in recent  years. Idunno about the quality of the Vietnamese stuff, I guess time will tell.