Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:00:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Red Knob Fender Champ 12

Started by dogbox, August 31, 2010, 07:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogbox

http://www.champamp.net/images/champ_12_schem.gif
Hi,
hoping someone can shed some light..
I powered this up the other day, the light comes on but the sound isn't there. There is a really weak signal still coming through - to give an idea how low the volume I can hear the strings being strummed.

I checked the fuse -in tact.
Does this sound like a valve has blown?? I would like to try and fix myself, but have limited knowledge of amps (done pedals and kits) no real experience with mains voltages/valve amps

Any suggestions appreciated on how to tackle this.
cheers
newb

J M Fahey

Start by plugging some audio in the CD inputs, tell what happens.

dogbox

Quote from: J M Fahey on September 01, 2010, 12:35:18 AM
Start by plugging some audio in the CD inputs, tell what happens.

Hi JM,

Tried that on your suggestion - so far no sound!! Hooked an RCA cable from amp to a ghetto blaster -  switched on the ghetto blaster, then switched on the amp-waited..no sound output from the amp.

What next???

thanks for the assist.
cheers
Steve

J M Fahey

Ok, we'll go backwards.
AMPLIFIER OFF AND UNPLUGGED ALL NIGHT
Start by testing the speaker.
1) Unplug its cables, get a battery (9V or 1.5V), touch the negative to the negative terminal , the positive to the other one, it should click.
2) If good, hook it as normal, follow green and black wires leaving output transformer, touch their ends briefly with your battery terminals, speaker should click, although somewhat fainter.
3) If good, follow red and blue wires from output transformer and touch its ends to + and - battery terminals.
Although fainter, you should still hear some click.
A 9V battery will give a louder click than an 1.5V one.
Post results, and meanwhile get a multimeter.
Be careful.