Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:26:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Noisy Cricket Mods

Started by No6h, May 29, 2015, 11:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No6h

Hey, I'm new on the forum and I'm building a Noisy Cricket 1/2w  guitar amp and would like to know if anyone knows any modifications. I am interested in doing the bass switch mod and had an idea. Would it be possible to fade between the two capacitors (47nF and 100nF) with a potentiometer? Thanks in advance.

No6h

Also would I be able to drive a Celestion 8 15 speaker with it? How loud would it be?

J M Fahey

Difference between 47nF and 100nF is subtle, not worth a pot, use a small switch, or try and pick the one you like best.

As of volume, enough to practiced alone or with acoustic musicians or a friend using another nnoisy cricket.

FWIW they sound awesome plugged into a 4x12"   ... but ..... what doesn't?

This is the commercial version (Smokey), even less parts than a Cricket, just the IC and 2 caps :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KSWa7N1xGY

No6h

Would it be possible though? Maybe 47nf and 1uF might be better. Than might have more of a impact. I was thinking of using the tone knob as a treble control and if this was possible using the extra pot as a bass control?

No6h

I'm currently building it on breadboard. Its gonna be a mini marshall stack sorta like the MG15CFXMS. I ended up with a Jensen C8R because the Celestions were backordered. I think it'll be loud enough to play my drummer friend. I'm hopeful anyway. Could you also post a breadboard layout for the Smokey amp? thanks. Also where should i get the tolex for the cabinet?