Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:50:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Could someone help me

Started by Handofdoom, April 07, 2014, 10:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handofdoom

Hey,
      Basically I just need a bit of help with achieving a tone, I am in a thrash metal/hardcore crossover band and our previous guitarist had a orange rockerverb mk11 and he had a very heavy but also clear sounding tone and iv recently purchased a orange cr120h simply because I couldn't afford the rockerverb. I am using the exact same setting as he was which were amp on dirty channel with gain on 10, bass 5, treble 6/7 (I have it on 7), mids on 3( but he did say that I might have to boost it abit because of it being ss so I have it on 4/5) and reverb on 2. It does sound close to his tone but it's missing the heaviness to it and I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to achieve this extra bit of heaviness I need

This is what his tone sounds like

http://drawnin.bandcamp.com/track/nuclear-war

Enzo

So do you have the same guitar with the same pickups?  And do you use the same brand and weight strings as he does?  You are comparing a solid state amp and a tube amp.  They are two different amps, so just setting the knobs to the same numbers means nothing.

The thing to do is work with the amp you have to get the best tone you can, rather than hoping to find a magic setting that will make it sound like it is something else.

Handofdoom

Unfortunately not he has and ltd with emg 81/85 pickups I have an ltd with ESP's active pickups but I am considering get emg's and I do need to restring my guitar thinking of putting ernie ball beefy slinky strings on

Ye I  fully understand where your coming from with me comparing a solid state to a tubed amp and I understand there always gonna sound different, I think I might of worded my original post a bit badly basically I'd just like abit of help archiving a heavier tone because At the moment the settings I'm using are giving me a nice tone sound but just needs abit more authority to it,maybe my amp needs a boost but I don't really know alot about pedals is there any chance you could give me some advice on some pedals that would help give it that little boost it needs or do you think maybe just replacing my pickups and re stringing  would work 

Enzo

Well, I can offer this general advice.   You tend to hear your guitar.  Your audience tends to hear the band.  Instead of concentrating on some glorious tone that is in your mind, concentrate on how your instrument fits in the overall soundscape of the whole band.  If a band has two guitars, and they both go for the same tone, in the end it just sounds like one guitar.   If the synth is playing a lot of really deep bottom tones, than maybe the bass guitar ought not to be going for the same deep bottom.

As much as a lot of guys just love that scooped out middle tone, that also scoops out all the body of the tone, so it gets lost in the mix.  A little more mids added back in may not be the exact tone YOU want, but it might be what the BAND needs.

As to changing the amp, the single thing that will have the most effect on your sound is the speakers.  Different speakers will have a huge inmpact on what you sound like.