Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:23:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

TRANSFORMERS

Started by Farthing, September 17, 2011, 05:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farthing

I need a replacement transformer for a Vox hybrid amp(non-modelling). it has 4 output leads plus earth. I should point out that UK Vox distributor KORG cannot supply such a thing
The top is marked 066-CVE GT 0006. Whether that means anything-i dont know. the amp curcuit is regulated by a ST electronics TAD2050 chip with an output rating of 32watts.

Is a transformer like that available to buy or would it have to be re-wound?

joecool85

Quote from: Farthing on September 17, 2011, 05:42:17 AM
I need a replacement transformer for a Vox hybrid amp(non-modelling). it has 4 output leads plus earth. I should point out that UK Vox distributor KORG cannot supply such a thing
The top is marked 066-CVE GT 0006. Whether that means anything-i dont know. the amp curcuit is regulated by a ST electronics TAD2050 chip with an output rating of 32watts.

Is a transformer like that available to buy or would it have to be re-wound?

You'd have to find out the output voltages but you should be able to buy something that would work.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

Hand draw the PSU schematic, meaning at least the actual transformer (indicating wire colors) , the diode bridge rectifiers and the first filtering caps.
Also whether the lower voltage supply uses voltage regulators or not.
This will help in guessing correctly needed voltages.

Farthing

how do you find out output voltages? the curcuit has a valve driven overdrive-like the old valvestate

teemuk

Enzo

And are you telling us the distributor cannot provide the part because they do not have them, or because they won;t sell the parts to anyone but their authorized service centers?

Farthing

The amp is a Vox Cambridge 30r. Discontinued in 2005, these were similar to the Marshall valvestate in that they had one ECC83 tube in the overdrive section.

Because it is discontinued they no longer supply parts for this model bar two curcuit components. There is no curcuit schematic available either. The voltage is stepped down and then fed through to a TDA 2050 IC which works on about 25volts. It's possible they never had a transformer for this from the start.
Farthing
England